Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UN Slams Israel's killings of civillians - Only USA not in favour of vote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN Slams Israel's killings of civillians - Only USA not in favour of vote.

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - With the United States abstaining, the U.N. Security Council Wednesday demanded that Israel halt the demolition of Palestinian homes and condemned the killing of Palestinian civilians near a Gaza refugee camp.

The decision by the United States, Israel's closest ally, to allow the adoption of a critical resolution reflected the Bush administration's displeasure at Israel's foray into Gaza.

The final vote was 14-0, with U.S. deputy ambassador James Cunningham abstaining.

The last time the United States abstained in a Security Council vote against Israeli actions was Sept. 24, 2002, when a resolution calling on Israel to withdraw its forces from Palestinian cities passed 14-0. The United States refrained from vetoing the resolution after language demanding that the Palestinians bring terrorists to justice was inserted.
    So only the damn yanks are against this practically unilateral resolution, and even then they had to be placated to stop them using their veto.

Bastards.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Oh, source...

Latest World news news, comment and analysis from the Guardian, the world's leading liberal voice

Very relyable.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Well, I think the surprise is the US abstained, as opposed to vetoing it. That is the rarity here.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

This would be amusing if it wasn't so damned stupidly sad.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I mean, I'm not anti-american, but when the rest of the security council condemn Israel, why is it always the US that stands alone? For God's sake, they're killing civillians every day there.

I don't know what my point is, I'm just generally low-grade angry.

-Jam

Comment

The US allows the UN resolution to pass, and people are still moaning.

Comment

On this issue, I think the US abstaining amounts to progress.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Frankly, the fact that the U.S. didn't veto this is a major slap to Israel.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As the article states, it "reflected the Bush administration's displeasure at Israel's foray into Gaza."

Comment

If US pulls support for Israel, I bet Israel would disappear within the week.
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Is this then a U-Turn on a cornerstone Republican policy since the 60's, or just a blip?

-Jam

Comment

I would say it is a slap on the wrist to Israel.

Comment

Hardly a U-turn. More like another down in Bush's sine oscillation on the issue.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The US allows the UN resolution to pass, and people are still moaning.

I think the thing is that the Bush administration WAS displeased at Israel and DID back the resolution, but for some wierd reason or simply not to piss off Israel too much didn't vote FOR it.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                              Is this then a U-Turn on a cornerstone Republican policy since the 60's, or just a blip?

-Jam
                              Eh? Nixon was more pro-Arab than pro-Israeli. He was quite the anti-Semite.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X