Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really big songs (and other pop culture hits) that you've totally missed out on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really big songs (and other pop culture hits) that you've totally missed out on...

I was giving my wife one of her standard 2-hour massages tonight while we were in bed watching TV. Since nothing was on, we turned the "dial" (digital cable) to the band of channels that covers the various music genres, from a Big Band channel to a Hip Hop channel to "decade" channels, etc.

Anyway, towards the end of the rub/scratch/hairbrushing One Sweet Day came on, a 1995 song by Mariah Carey and Boys II Men. I remark first...

"Huh. I've never heard this song."
    "... You've never heard this song?!?"
    "Did I stutter?", with a wink, "No, it doesn't sound familiar at all."
    "No way! This song was HUGE!"

Her surprise seemed a little out of proportion for what was sounding like a pretty basic ballad with a fair amount of caterwauling, so I decided to look it up in my copy of Joel Whitburn's The Billboard Book of Top-40 Hits, an invaluable reference guide to what was hot and what was not in the world of pop music.

Holy freakin' Shiite, this song was big! Apparently, not only did it spend 16 weeks at #1, not only was it just the biggest song of 1995 (coulda fooled me), but according to this book, it was the biggest charting song of all time*, beating out Elvis, the Beatles, and the Macarena (which I had heard ).

Who knew?

So, what big songs or other pop-culture things did you totally miss out on? Not because you weren't interested ("I have no desire in seeing that boat movie... we all know that it sinks in the end"), but because, well, you weren't paying attention. Or you were too busy. Or something.

*However, I think the all-time list is a little suspect because the top-9 songs are all post 1992. Did Billboard change the way they figured their charts or something?

For such an interesting guy, John, you have the ability to make the most BORING threads .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

While I'm sure there are many, many such incidents that I completely missed out on, I have yet to notice what they were/are.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Better than, oh, you know who, who is boring and makes boring threads.

I just find it amazing that there's a song that Billboard magazine says is the #1 song of modern music history (here in the US, of course) and I've never heard of it. So many songs seep through the public consciousness by sheer osmosis... repetition on the radio, commercials, movie trailers, etc (think "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies)... that you'd think the "biggest song of all time" would do so as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          For such an interesting guy, John, you have the ability to make the most BORING threads .

Are you sure you're not confusing him with me?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

He said it, not I.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

He said it, not I.

Comment

I never got into Survivor. At all.
                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

i miss out on all pop culture, because it frikkin sucks. reality tv and boy bands? no thank you.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                    i miss out on all pop culture, because it frikkin sucks. reality tv and boy bands? no thank you.
                    Best avatar, EVAH
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

yeah, nice.

Oh, and I have seen the first Star Wars movies. It's just that I don't remember what the ****'s going on.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

No, I DID call him an interesting guy
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Europa, by Santana
                          Miracles, by Jefferson Starship
                          Foreigner Suite, by Cat Stevens
                          Full-length Vahevala, by Loggins and Messina

None got radio time due to length, and all are fantastic.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

No, I DID call him an interesting guy

har, har

Comment

None got radio time due to length, and all are fantastic.

Are you sure you're in the right thread, Sloww?

Comment

Working...
                              X