Oerdin's Iraq thread - Continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
    When I was in the military, I was tought to never be more than an arm's length from my rifle. You could even get a penalty if you broke that rule. Wouldn't that be the regular policy in any army, especially when deployed in a war zone?
    One of our favorite tricks on exercise was to sneak into american positions on patrols and steal (usually we'd just move em) their M16's (and sometimes their officers). We snatched a Colonel one time who was not very happy with his rough treatment (well he did fight back so we were entitled), being sandbagged, and hustled through the bush. He was quite irate and our commander apologized but we were congratulated later. Thats what we did to our allies. Thinking about it always makes me laugh about the comments made about the treatment of Iraqi POW's.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• So are you ready for another care package? Can I use the same APO address? Any requests?
      Take care and don't wander out on your own.

Comment

• I'm really liking my new team since we get way more free time then on my last team. On my last team we got only about one day per month off while on my new team we take every Friday off unless there is some really important mission taking place. That means I now get four times as much time off.

Even better our mission yesterday got cancelled at the last minute so we ended up getting two days off in a row.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auntie H
          So are you ready for another care package? Can I use the same APO address? Any requests?
          Take care and don't wander out on your own.
          I'm always in the market for another care package. The best address to use is the one in Tikrit since they send a log-pack down to Balad once per week. That means it should only take a week longer to reach me then last time.

BTW Did my dad tell you about my new house? It's a three bedroom two bath town house in the same complex my sister used to live in. It cost an arm and a leg but it should be a good investment if I can keep the spare rooms rented.

Comment

• I was reading an article in Stars & Stripes (It is the Army owned newspaper which makes up most of my noninterent derived news) today about the Lebonese born Marine who has been captured by the insurgents. It appears the young foreign born Marine was trying to desert and that he asked several of the Iraqis working here if they could help him desert and return to his native Lebonon. Apparently some of them did help him desert but instead of taking him to Lebonon they handed him over to the insurgents. I feel sorry for the poor guy but he is in a mess of his own making.

Comment

• I wondered if you guys would hear that part of the story. It has been widely reported here. Still, don't run around (or walk or jog or sip iced tea) with out your gun.... what a scary thing to say to my little brother!! But do it any way...

Comment

• I keep my rifle with me at all times and I job on the treadmill at the gym. I'm less likely to be jumped there plus it's easier to get to a bunker if mortars start landing as happened today when I was at the gym.

Everytime mortars hit the base they have an Alarm that goes off. That's well enough but the alarm never seems to go off until after the last incoming round has hit the base. Wouldn't it be better to link the system to radar so that the alarm went off before the incoming rounds impact?

No doubt the Army just doesn't want to spend the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin

...Everytime mortars hit the base they have an Alarm that goes off. That's well enough but the alarm never seems to go off until after the last incoming round has hit the base. Wouldn't it be better to link the system to radar so that the alarm went off before the incoming rounds impact?

No doubt the Army just doesn't want to spend the money.
                  Maybe the person pressing the alarm button is busy making friends with their foxhole while the rounds are landing?
                  Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                  "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

• Nah, they're in a nice concrete building which is highly unlikely to be breached by a mortar.

Comment

• But why take the chance, if you are the button pusher???

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
                        I was reading an article in Stars & Stripes (It is the Army owned newspaper which makes up most of my noninterent derived news) today about the Lebonese born Marine who has been captured by the insurgents. It appears the young foreign born Marine was trying to desert and that he asked several of the Iraqis working here if they could help him desert and return to his native Lebonon. Apparently some of them did help him desert but instead of taking him to Lebonon they handed him over to the insurgents. I feel sorry for the poor guy but he is in a mess of his own making.
                        Well, if that's true, it explains how a marine could be captured alive inside his own base. If the other story is true (hitting him alone at night), the terrorist surely got guts. Haven't heard any more about him. At least he's not in Ted's signature yet.
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Wow, Apolyton is now really family BBS.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

At least he's not in Ted's signature yet.
                            I noticed that the Paki guy was released along with 2 Turks. ( I thought there were 3 of them).
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• For the couple of days we've been going out on 12 patrols with the infantry guys. Each day we've only gotten in about 1-2 hours of Psyop time and none of it has been with anyone I'd call a key communicator so its impact is questionable at best. I'm getting the feeling that these national guardsmen we're working with have no idea how to use Psyop effectively and they're to stuck in their ways to bother listening to us.

Comment

• They're now saying the Marine was lured off the base to meet a woman.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X