Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, Belfour's only tied for third-most career wins. He's only had 10 shut-out this year (second most in the league and the most in year for him). And he's only won two Stanley Cups. This is his best year since 1999 when he won the Cup with the Stars.

Face it, Belfour is in his zone.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Hey Asher, lay off the Eagle. Tingkai & I, Leaf fans both, are the only allies you have with Calgary...

My Predictions:

EAST: ROUND ONE

Tampa Bay(1) vs. Islanders(8) - Tampa in 6
      Boston(2) vs Montreal(7) - in 7
      Philadelphia(3) vs. New Jersey(6) - New Jersey in 6
      Toronto(4) vs. Ottawa(5) - Toronto in 5

WEST: ROUND ONE

Detroit(1) vs. Nashville(8) - Detroit in 5
      San Jose(2) vs. St. Louis(7) - San Jose in 6
      Vancouver(3) vs. Calgary(6) - Calgary in 5
      Colorado(4) vs. Dallas(5) - Colorado in 6

EAST: ROUND TWO

Tampa Bay(1) vs. Montreal (7) in Montreal in 7
      Toronto(4) vs. New Jersey(6) vs - Toronto in 7

WEST: ROUND TWO

Detroit(1) vs. - Calgary in 6
      San Jose(2) vs. - Colorado in 6

EAST: ROUND THREE

Toronto (4) vs. Montreal (7) - Toronto in 6

WEST: ROUND THREE

Colorado (4) vs. Calgary(6) - Colorado in 7

FINALS
      Colorado (4) vs. Toronto(4) - Toronto in 6

I'm going with my heart.

Toronto has enough depth this year to carry on even with some injuries, as long as Quinn spots the kids into the line-up enough. (MATT STAJAN)

However, if the Eagle's back goes out, so do the Leafs.

Colorado is so good, when they want to be, that they can overcome the goaltending being merely good.

Remember, Detroit won the Cup with Chris Osbaad.

I am not a believer in the Red Wings. There is only so much that Yzerman and Chelios can do with heart. Eventually, the body has to be willing, and its not.
      Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

• OK, here's mine (first round only):

Tampa in 6 (Isles too weak)
        Montreal in 6 (Theodore the difference, plus Thornton's hurt)
        New Jersey in 5 (Philly's goaltending remains achilles heel, never count out Devils)
        Toronto in 5 (Senators have their heads up their asses, Lalime has played poorly all season)

Detroit in 5 (welcome to the playoffs, Nashville, looky what we have for you)
        San Jose in 7 (Sharks are hungrier, Blues always underachieve in playoffs)
        Calgary in 7 (Kiprusoff over Cloutier, and no Bertuzzi)
        Colorado in 7 (toss-up, Avalanche have home-ice in seventh game)
        "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Brodeur wins the Conn Smythe.

WOW... a loser in the Conference Finals wins the Conn Smythe. That would be... well pretty incredible .
          He'd get to join the first goalie ever to score a goal in that dubious distinction.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• IIRC, Hextall made it to the Stanley Cup Finals that year.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I wish Edmonton had made it to the playoffs. That last game against the Canucks was exciting with both teams playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Good to see the Canucks going well down the stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                IIRC, Hextall made it to the Stanley Cup Finals that year.
                Mea Culpa. I misread it as the Cup finals not the conference finals.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

If you asked any coach which goalie he would want in the playoffs, it would be Brodeur and then Belfour. Not some untried hack like Kiprusoff.

I agree--- But none of this means that Kiprisoff won't end up being the dominant goalie in the playoffs, or Theodore or Raycroft etc etc

Nobody knows who the superlative goalie of the playoffs will be -- I guess thats why we play the games

BUT it is a good bet that both Brodeur and Balfour will be very good-- each has years of solid experience.

Kiprisoff-- I have watched a LOT of Flames games and he has varied from unbelievable to merely excellent-- If he plays as he has in the regular season, he will be the best goalie in the playoffs. But I agree with the doubters that he does not have a long track record of playoff success . . . he is still somewhat of an unknown
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFred
                    I wish Edmonton had made it to the playoffs. That last game against the Canucks was exciting with both teams playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

I also wish Edmonton had made the playoffs as they were one of the strongest teams in the late season. I believe they would have had a much greater cahnce of going far in the playoffs than Nashville
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I can't see the point of arguing it anymore. Only Asher seems to think that playoff experience doesn't matter. Of course a team without it can still do well, but the experienced teams always come through in the end. The facts support that thesis overwhelmingly.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• MY predictions

Tampa in 5
                        Montreal in 6 (Theodore proclaimed a deity in Quebec)
                        New Jersey in 6 (I never bet against Brodeur)
                        Ottawa in 6 ( I agree with everyone that Toronto looks better and have history and a recent shellacking on their side but this is my "no sensible reason upset pick"-- Every logical fibre in my being says Toronto should win but I'm still picking Ottawa

Detroit in 4 ( remember us-- we are good)
                        Blues in 6 (hmmm -- again-don't know why . .. just a wild ass guess)

Calgary in 6 (Kiprusoff plays outstanding)
                        Dallas in 6 (this one was troubling-- Colorado has an excellent set of players but Dallas have been awesome for most of the second half)

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                          I can't see the point of arguing it anymore. Only Asher seems to think that playoff experience doesn't matter. Of course a team without it can still do well, but the experienced teams always come through in the end. The facts support that thesis overwhelmingly.
                          I agree if we look only to the cup winners BUT there has been a suprising rash of inexperienced teams make it to the Conference finals in the last few years. They all lost the final but it does show that an inexpereinced team can have suprising results. . .. I would not count out Calgary as they are a very hardworking team . . . I would not predict them to come out of the West but that result would not shock me ( Kiprisoff has been THAT good in many games)

I think the most recent inexperienced team to win the CUP was MOntreal in the early 90s-- I have a recollection of a team with a bunch of rookies that won a whole bunch of Overtime games and won a cup that suprised everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by RedFred
                            I wish Edmonton had made it to the playoffs. That last game against the Canucks was exciting with both teams playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Yes, damn.

Now I will have to cheer for Calgary or Vancouver, and after them break out the sun tan oil and forget about hockey for another year.

I can't make up my mind between the two. Calgary is like kin, but Vancouver isn't Calgary and that can count in their favour.

OK. If forced to, go Flames. Yay.

I'll pay more attention to whoever wins that first series.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• A recap--

Two years ago, I predicted every single series of every round in the West correctly, including the number of games; I was only half as successful in the East, getting it all right with the exception of every series Carolina played in... ****ers.

Last year... let's just forget that unpleasantness, shall we?

This year? You can usually count on at least one top 3 seed falling in both conferences; this year, there is only one series where such an upset would be truly shocking. Another such series would be shocking if such an upset does not happen.

West Quarters:

DET - NSH: Detroit often stuggles early in the playoffs. They have had problems with the Predators this year. The Predators play exactly the sort of style that can give the Wings fits. Detroit is going with career-backup Manny Legace in goal. Add it all up, and what do you get? Detroit in 5. I think they'll lose game two; hope it's not game one, 'cuz I'm going to that one.

SJ - STL: A pair of defense-first squads, perennial playoff underachievers, square off in what is sure to be an insomnia-curing exhibition. St. Louis is one of only three playoff teams to have a Cup winner between the pipes; Osgood is just good enough. St. Louis in 7.

VAN - CAL: I smell another tight series. The Flames have a pair of phenoms--Iggy and Kippy--but that's about it. But that could very well be enough when taking on the Canucks. I think Cloutier could win a Cup--someday. He reminds me of Osgood. I think he needs to study under a wily vet for a long playoff run first (i.e. Mike Vernon). Until then, the Canucks are vulnerable, especially without Bertuzzi. Calgary in 7.

COL - DAL: This ought to be very very good. Big edge in net to the Stars; big edge otherwise to the Avs. It is only a matter of time before Marty Turco leads his team on a run to the Cup; but I don't think this is the year. Colorado in 7.

East Quarterfinals

TB - NYI: Tampa Bay? Seriously, is this the ****ing Twilight Zone? If they were playing anyone else, I'd say they were going down hard. But the Earth continues to wobble on its axis for at least one more round... Tampa Bay in 5.

BOS - MON: Did you just hear that? That was my heart singing. Original Six, baby. Gotta love it. The Bruins had a great year, but it ends here. The Canadiens just have too much mystique, too much Theodore, and Thornton is too hurt. Montreal in 6.

PHI - NJ: Remember when I said that there was one series where it would be shocking where a top 3 seed was NOT upset? This is it. Defending champs vs. choke artists extraordinaire? I smell sweep... New Jersey in 4.

TOR - OTT: Love... exciting and new... come aboard... we're expecting you! In a series sure to be filled with gentlemanly play and good sportsmanship all around, the Maple Leafs will continue to work their strange magic over the Sens... but it'll be close. Toronto in 7.

West Semifinals

DET - STL: Much like the Leafs have a hex on the Sens, the Wings own the Blues when the playoffs roll around. I've lost count how many times we've eliminated those guys in the past decade. Osgood will play valiantly, but to no avail... Detroit in 6.

COL - CAL: Three cheers for the Flames; as inspiring a season as we are likely to see for years to come. Sadly, it goes no further--the Avs have too much firepower. Colorado in 5.

East Semifinals

TB - MON: Ahhhh... the world is set right. Up is no longer down, black is no longer white, and the Tampa Bay freakin Lightning no longer blight the NHL playoffs with their horrible uniforms. Montreal in 6.

TOR - NJ: This'll be gooooooooood. Honestly, this one is a coin flip. Edge in goal to the Devils, defensemen about equal, forwards to the Leafs. I'm calling heads... Toronto in 7.

Conference Finals

DET - COL: As it ever should be. Bottom line--either of Detroit's goalies are better than both of Colorado's, and the Wings are at least slightly better in just about every facet of the game. It'll be a good one... Detroit in 6.

TOR - MON: I know I pick this East Final just about every year, but goddammit, this is what it SHOULD be. The Hockey Gods would have much rejoicing. Sooner or later, these Canadian teams will prove me right. This. Is. The. Year. Oh, and Toronto blows 'em out: Toronto in 5.

Stanley Cup Finals

DET - TOR: Our third Original Six matchup of the playoffs? Be still my heart. A thing of beauty. I want to make this clear--if the Wings do not win the Cup, I want a Canadian team to win, preferably the Leafs or les Habs. But the Wings just have too much to be stopped. Pavel Datsyuk skates away with the MVP as the Wings punish the Leafs... Detroit in 5.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• From NHL.com:
                                It took the Calgary Flames eight years to get back to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so don't expect them to exit quickly -- especially when Darryl Sutter is running the show.

Sutter knows a thing or two about playoff hockey. In his 21 years in the game from junior to the NHL, the Flames' head coach and general manager has reached the postseason every year but one.

Before joining the Flames, Sutter led the Sharks to their first Pacific Division Title while setting new franchise records in wins (44) and points (99) during the 2001-02 campaign. He also coached in Chicago for three years, where he led the Blackhawks to three straight Playoff appearances, including a trip to the Conference Finals in 1995 and a Norris Division title in 1992-93. On the minor-league level, Sutter guided the Indianapolis Ice to the IHL's Turner Cup Championship in the 1989-90 season, earning him Coach of the Year honors.

Sutter once again showed the hockey world why he's been so successful wherever he's gone when he acquired goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff from the San Jose Sharks on Nov. 16, 2003 in exchange for a conditional draft choice (2nd or 3rd round) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

All Kiprusoff did was solidify Calgary's problem in goal by putting up numbers worthy of him being considered for both the Hart Memorial Trophy, given to the League's regular season MVP, and Vezina Trophy, given to the NHL's top goalie.

"Kiprusoff is a big part of the reason we are where we are this season," Calgary defender Denis Gauthier said. "He's not a Vezina and Hart candidate for nothing."

Sutter also struck gold on the open market when he acquired Chris Simon, Marcus Nilson and Ville Nieminen in three separate deals before the NHL's Trade Deadline.

The rugged Simon, who won a Stanley Cup with Colorado in 1996, has fit in nicely on Calgary's top line alongside crafty center Craig Conroy and All-Star right-winger Jarome Iginla. Nilson was a steal of a deal from Florida because the former alternate captain can play a two-way game and slide into any position up front. Nieminen gives Calgary another former Cup-winner and a turbulent force up front, who can kill penalties as well as provide some opportune scoring form the wing.

While opposing clubs will be trying their best to keep Iginla and Conroy off the score sheet, they will also need to pay some mind to Shean Donovan and Martin Gelinas. Whether it's on the power play or on special teams these two wingers can beat you in so many ways if left unattended.

Sutter has also assembled a talented group of defenders in Jordan Leopold, Rhett Warrener, Robyn Regehr, Toni Lydman, Andrew Ference, Mike Commodore, Steve Montador and Gauthier that could be together for quite some time. The corps is anchored by two 28-year olds, Warrener and Gauthier. Warrener is a nine-year NHL veteran that does everything for the Flames from killing penalties to shutting down the opposition's top line, while Gauthier is a physical stay-at-home defender who likes to use his body to keep the front of the net clear. The Flames also gets huge contributions from two 23-year olds on a nightly basis. Regehr led all Calgary defenders in icetime during the regular season, while Leopold led all the team's blueliners in scoring.

Can Calgary emerge from the wild, wild west? The answer here is yes, especially if the higher-seeds take Sutter's blue-collar crew lightly. While they may not be the most talented team in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Flames are arguably the hardest-working bunch. So if any team decides to look past them, they will get their first burn before the summer even starts.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X