Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How were the american indians subjugated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought I'd read the Spanish had done that blanket bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SKILORD

The spanish didn't use that particular tactic, but they certainly did their share of atrocities.
      are we talking diseased blankets here?
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Yeah, we are.

It was used at least on one occasion by a British (or were the colonies independent... I cannot remember correctly) Officer.

I don't believe that the fact that the Europeans were slaughtering the Americans through disease was quite analyzed by the Spaniards to the point that they would attempt to accentuate that particular effect of their meeting.

They might have, but I can't remember reading about any case of the Spanish using that tactic.
        Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Re: Re: How were the american indians subjugated?

Originally posted by Kidicious

I can't help but see the similarities between Americans and the terrorists, even the Americans living today, especially with idiots who believe this stupid crap.

It's actually a good parallel, though it fails generally if you're assigning blame.

Comment

Yeah, we are.

It was used at least on one occasion by a British (or were the colonies independent... I cannot remember correctly) Officer.

I don't believe that the fact that the Europeans were slaughtering the Americans through disease was quite analyzed by the Spaniards to the point that they would attempt to accentuate that particular effect of their meeting.

They might have, but I can't remember reading about any case of the Spanish using that tactic.
            my understanding is that cortez landed with his men and without firing a shot , basically brought the aztecs/incas i dont' remember which from a population of 100k to 10k b/c of disease and such....

perhaps were talking different things here....

Comment

No, they attacked plenty. However, IIRC disease had actually already reached them from previous contacts elsewhere. The disease was not deliberately spread by the Spanish, unlike with the Americans.

Comment

No, that did happen. The European's arrival did cause an incredible amount of deaths, simply by the diseases they brought with them.

Comment

Oh yes, he did devastate them with disease.

However he did not use the "blankie method"
                  Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

nm

Comment

Not the Spanish and not the Inca.

The British colonists did it frequently to the assorted woodsland tribes.
                      Did you ever here of a man named Coronado? He made a journey of exploration throughout the southeastern United States. Starting from Florida he traveled as far north as what is today North Carolina, then he turned west, eventually reaching the Mississippi river. Along the way his men spread smallpox. Because the native americans of the east coast had developed a trading economy of sorts the disease spread as far north as New England.

Sailors and fishermen also carried european diseases to the new world. By the 16th century the east coast of North America was a popular fishing grounds for fishermen from England, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, the Netherlands, and France.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

ah ok, see, i am learning something new......

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                          Did you ever here of a man named Coronado? He made a journey of exploration throughout the southeastern United States. Starting from Florida he traveled as far north as what is today North Carolina, then he turned west, eventually reaching the Mississippi river. Along the way his men spread smallpox. Because the native americans of the east coast had developed a trading economy of sorts the disease spread as far north as New England.
                          Yes, but was that a deliberate act by him, or unintentional?

Comment

The Europeans were unaware, at first anyway, of the potential they carried to wipe out untold thousands.

I don't imagine Coronado was intentionally spreading disease.

Comment

The Cherokee received the gift of smallpox from the Spanish also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Sailors and fishermen also carried european diseases to the new world. By the 16th century the east coast of North America was a popular fishing grounds for fishermen from England, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, the Netherlands, and France.
                                My dear Doctor.

I did not intend to deny that Spaniards had spread disease to the native Americans. That they did so from their first meetings is simply beyond debate, it is a fact.

I merely disagreed with the accusation that the Spanish had intentionally spread this disease through the use of smallpox-infected blankets.

Comment

Working...
                                X