X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Darwin and then Homos? Never!

Mar 17, 1:36 PM EST

Tenn. County Wants to Charge Homosexuals

DAYTON, Tenn. (AP) -- The county that was the site of the Scopes "Monkey Trial" over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

"We need to keep them out of here," Fugate said.

The vote was denounced by Matt Nevels, president of the Chattanooga chapter of Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

"That is the most farfetched idea put forth by any kind of public official," Nevels said. "I'm outraged."

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Texas' sodomy laws as a violation of adults' privacy.

Rhea County is one of the most conservative counties in Tennessee. It holds an annual festival commemorating the 1925 trial at which John T. Scopes was convicted of teaching evolution. The verdict was thrown out on a technicality. The trial became the subject of the play and movie "Inherit the Wind."

In 2002, a federal judge ruled unconstitutional the teaching of a Bible class in the public schools.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

B♭3

Comment

This is a joke right?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

You would think I'd learn not to be amazed at my countrymen's stupidity.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If this is "one of the most conservative counties" in Tenn., what will they do in the most conservative?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I don't why anyone's laughing. That's frikkin' scary. These inbreds hold positions of power..
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Yay, let's laugh at them! They're like Islam, only Christian.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Those homos are so PC. I don't see what their problem is.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    If this is "one of the most conservative counties" in Tenn., what will they do in the most conservative?
                    I've always suspected that "conservative" and "stupid" were synonymous. Seems we have confirmation.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Laws against homosexual sex are just like the law against barber's being able to to shave customers' chests in Omaha, Nebr. There is no reason to write them in the books because God already enforces them Himself.

Learn about laws and rights in the United States of America.

[EDIT] Proper grammar helps us grow![/EDIT]
                      Last edited by Guest; March 17, 2004, 23:48.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        Get a rope.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

God's falling down on the job, he hasn't stopped me from getting laid!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                            Get a rope.
                            They're into S&M? Kinky!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                              I don't why anyone's laughing. That's frikkin' scary. These inbreds hold positions of power..
                              In their pissant little counties, yeah.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X