X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Why is Grant on the $50 bill?

Originally posted by MrFun

grammar Nazi mode: "change it to somebody else -- not something else"
    [prescriptive grammar] Unless the person is actually sitting on the bill, "something else" is the correct usage. An image is a thing, not a person. [/prescriptive grammar]
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Grant was pretty much the best the Union had, which makes him about 20th in the ranking of "Best Generals of the Civil War". Sure he won a lot, but the fool could not keep body count low.
      Did he try?
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

War of Northern Agression? You guys started the thing at Ft. Sumter, you guys took the first shot.

The Confederate apologists show they still havent gotten over the embarassment because they were so arrogant fefore the war.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why is Grant on the $50 bill?

Originally posted by joncha

[prescriptive grammar] Unless the person is actually sitting on the bill, "something else" is the correct usage. An image is a thing, not a person. [/prescriptive grammar]
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dizle

Sorry to bore you but if I took the time to present a detailed report of his actions and battles it would support my conclusions. In my opinion. If I were MTG I could rattle all of that off by memory. Sorry for my mental limitations Fun guy.
            With inane comments like "Grant was nothing more than a hack" obviously it shows that you have a vehement hatred for him, rather than objectively consider Grant for who he really was -- a human being rather than some kind of one-dimensional cardboard image.

Comment

I corrected the typos that were in the original article you provided, Plato.
              So one track about something so much bigger...
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                War of Northern Agression? You guys started the thing at Ft. Sumter, you guys took the first shot.

The Confederate apologists show they still havent gotten over the embarassment because they were so arrogant fefore the war.
                Ft Sumter was in South Carolina...where the Yanks had no business anyway.

Arrogant? Probably a good characterization for the Southern attitude...Sadly. If anything, the war taught us not to use that approach again.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

With inane comments like "Grant was nothing more than a hack" obviously it shows that you have a vehement hatred for him, rather than objectively consider Grant for who he really was -- a human being rather than some kind of one-dimensional cardboard image.
                  I am sorry for being insensitive.

Comment

The problem was that you over simplify a general who did the best job he could under the most trying circumstances.

Neo-Confederates accuse northerners of glorifying Grant, when neo-Confederates then turn around and glorify Lee to an unbelievably unrealistic pedestal.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

So one track about something so much bigger...

You mean the bigger argument in which the scholary consensus today accepts the fact that the "Lost Cause" mythology is inherently racist?

Comment

What do you guys think about Colonel Angus?
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Colonel Angus might be rough, Colonel Angus might not smell like a bed of roses, but deep down Colonel Angus is very sweet.
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Neo-Confederates accuse northerners of glorifying Grant, when neo-Confederates then turn around and glorify Lee to an unbelievably unrealistic pedestal.
                            Lee was actually worth something, while Grant, if he didn't have the resources of the North at his disposal, would have fallen like a house of cards.
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Lee was actually worth something, while Grant, if he didn't have the resources of the North at his disposal, would have fallen like a house of cards.
                              Yeah, wasn't Lee originally going to fight for the North or something, but by some narrow and odd twist of fate didn't?
                              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

First, we didn't start do-dah.
                                An even more intersting question than Grant on a fifty is, why is Lincoln on the penny ?
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X