Why is Grant on the $50 bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not? i think it makes sense.
    Copper sort of matches his skin and hair tone. It at least matches a lot more than the silvery luster of a dime or Quarter does to Truman or Washington respectively.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

my thread is getting it's second wind

Comment

Despite the smiley on the end, I get the feeling thta you despise the second wind of your thread Diss. Why do you hide the long face?
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
          Ft Sumter was in South Carolina...where the Yanks had no business anyway.
          Besides the fact that it was owned by the federal government?

Comment

Originally posted by Kucinich

Besides the fact that it was owned by the federal government?
            WTF? I was gonna say that!

Southerners can sure be ignorant when it comes to history.

Comment

Grant won the Civil War for the Union. Just for that he gets to be on our money.

As for his quality as a general-great generals who lose get pages in the history books. Generals who win, great or not, remake history itself.

Hannibal was a great general- bloody good it did Carthage.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And Hannibal is pretty famous. So is Lee.

Comment

Yeah, wasn't Lee originally going to fight for the North or something, but by some narrow and odd twist of fate didn't?

He was offered supreme command of the Union Army, but felt that he owed loyalty to Virginia first.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Kucinich
                    And Hannibal is pretty famous. So is Lee.
                    yes, they are famous-and their armies crushed-their states defeated.

So again, famous but on the loosing side of history-much like the generals of the wehrmacht
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Generals who win, great or not, remake history itself.
                      What's your point? Lee reshaped history as well, probably moreso than Grant ever did, even with his Presidency.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Sure he won a lot, but the fool could not keep body count low.

Why should he? As Lincoln said "He fights dammit" (paraphrasing). Lincoln also said something like if he had 20 Grants he'd have won the war in 1862. Unlike the other commanding generals of the Army of the Potomic, Grant took the fight to the Southerners and kept attacking, knowing he had superior numbers and that he could use them to great effect.

Many call him a bad general for that (recognizing a strength makes him a bad general?), but totally ignore Grants great successes on the Western front of the war. The Siege of Vicksburg was an extrodinary sucess and involved great tactics, not sending wave after wave.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why should he?
                          Tell that to the famillies.

shush! the Seige of Vicksburg never happened. be quiet.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Ah yes the families. I guess he should have just lost the war on purpose for the families .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The reason why neo-Confederates today have a hatred of Grant is because he was a skillful, competent general.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                                nah -- it was the War of Southern Stupidity
                                No, the War of Southern Treason.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X