Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

biblical atrocities, and tigers, and bears, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the Christmas holidays there were a lot of specials on TV about the bible, christianity, Judaism, Islam, JC, Mohammed and various other prophets.

Proof was given that it was possible that a lot of things in the bible could have happened and explained how.
    I personally believe that there is a god.
    I also believe that the the things depicted in the bible probably be happened.
    what I do not believe is that yu can take the bible at face value. Especially when people claim to have spoke to god or that the things depicted in the bible was god's will. I believe it far more likely that someone, the writer, speechwriter, or a propagandist to justify there actions.
    There is no way you can prove that if God spoke to these people, he was qouted correctly.
    I think that the foundation of religous beliefs that follow the words of men and claim that it is the word of god is corrupt at its base. That's why we have the religous wars we have today.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      The commandment in fact said "Thou shalt not kill." You will find the same thing in KJV, NRSV, and other versions. The NIV translation is wrong.
      How about looking at the original, not these pansy translations?

It's "Thou shalt not murder"
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Of course, that means when somebody asserts that he only follows the orders of some voice in his head, BK will have to defend the behaviour of said person.
        I wonder if he'll be that agreeable when the "somone" in question decides to gut him.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Edan
          How about looking at the original, not these pansy translations?

It's "Thou shalt not murder"
          You know Hebrew Edan? Esp the ancient scripts used to write the OT?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pax Africanus
            Proof was given that it was possible that a lot of things in the bible could have happened and explained how.
            Yeah, I read explanations of some of these events, no supernatural forces are necessary.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Well, I've always heard the literal translation as being not to murder, or wrongfully kill.

Here is a page translating the Hebrew:

The verb that appears in the Torah's prohibition is " ratsah" which, it would seem, should be rendered "murder." This root refers only to criminal acts of killing.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Pax Africanus
                Over the Christmas holidays there were a lot of specials on TV about the bible, christianity, Judaism, Islam, JC, Mohammed and various other prophets.

TV specials aren't exactly a good basis for an accurate analysis of such events. I've seen some preposterous shows on the History Channel that seem more interested in catering to sensationalism than good science and rigorous historical criticism. Fox has also broadcast some ludicrously irresponsible specials that seem to be designed to appeal to the fundamentalists rather than balanced interpretations.

Of course, without specific instances, it's hard to judge this statement.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes, and yes, if rusty on both. (For the most part ancient hebrew isn't really that different from modern hebrew.)
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    Well, I've always heard the literal translation as being not to murder, or wrongfully kill.

Here is a page translating the Hebrew:

The verb that appears in the Torah's prohibition is " ratsah" which, it would seem, should be rendered "murder." This root refers only to criminal acts of killing.
                    According to Dan Barker*, in the nontract "Murder, He Wrote" (available from the Freedom from Religion Foundation) the word "ratsach" appears a total of 47 times, behind muth (825 times), nakah (502 times), haraq (172 times), and zabach (140 times). All of these words can mean "die, slay, kill, put to death, smite, murder" etc, like modern day authors switch freely between synonyms.

He concluded that "Thou shalt not kill is a better translation."

* Former minister of 17 years with formal training. Yes, he knows Hebrew.

Comment

He concluded that "Thou shalt not kill is a better translation."

* Former minister of 17 years with formal training. Yes, he knows Hebrew.
                      I'm not sure where his conclusion comes from, but I'd say it's a bit dubious. It's clear that the reason there are so many different words is that they all carry different nuances and meaning, so its certainly possible the nuance of "ratsach" is "unlawful killing."

Considering Rabbis have pointed out that the Torah does condone killing--frequently--in terms of avenging wrongs and as criminal punishment, the prohibition in Exodus obviously is only pointing towards killing without legal sanction to do so.

Insisting the original means no killing whatsoever is a dead-end issue and will get a debate nowhere, because you're arguing over the usage of words based on modern grammatical concepts without taking the obvious context into account.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                        Am I the only one who loves the irony of this thread, where Ben advocates the genocide of babies? I thought he opposed abortion because we were genociding embryos and zygotes
                        It's not confusing at all. It's only wrong to kill children before birth. He's the complete opposite of a radical pro-choice advocate

Comment

• Okay, let's assume that YHWH wanted to "make a place" for Israel in Palestine after the Exodos.

Why does he have to order the Israelites to wipe out all these nations? He is God. Couldn't he just wipe them all out with a plague? Or fire and brimstone?

Why the whole "kill them all with the edge of your sword, except for the little babies----- dash them against rocks" thing?

There is no reason for this. There is in fact no sense in it at all. The only thing that make sense is that Moses wanted to "make room for Israel" in Palestine. And he did this through the ancient and ignoble practice of genocide. And to justify this proceeding, he invoked the equally ancient and equally ignoble practice of claiming that "Dieu li volt" ("God wills it).
                          Last edited by Vanguard; February 18, 2004, 23:38.
                          VANGUARD

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            I'm not sure where his conclusion comes from, but I'd say it's a bit dubious. It's clear that the reason there are so many different words is that they all carry different nuances and meaning, so its certainly possible the nuance of "ratsach" is "unlawful killing."
                            Well, I couldn't find it on their website for copy-and-paste, and sure I wasn't to type the whole thing in He went on quite a bit, but I just skipped those paragraphs.

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                            Insisting the original means no killing whatsoever is a dead-end issue and will get a debate nowhere, because you're arguing over the usage of words based on modern grammatical concepts without taking the obvious context into account.
                            That's exactly what people insist it means "murder" have been doing. They just ignore the context.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanguard
                              Why does he have to order the Israelites to wipe out all these nations? He is God. Couldn't he just wipe them all out with a plague? Or fire and brimstone?
                              Or, he could just move the whole tribes elsewhere?

I also found it funny that YHWH couldn't overcome iron chariots. That's a riot.

Comment

• One of my favorite episodes in the Bible is when YHWH "tries" to kill Moses------ and fails!

I guess Moses was just a little bit too quick for the Big Guy. I picture him doing a shoulder roll to dodge out of the way of YHWH's heat vision.
                                VANGUARD

Comment

Working...
                                X