Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germans gone Wild!

I thought this would provoke some comment:

FRANKFURT, Jan. 30 — A German computer technician who killed and ate a willing victim he found through the Internet was convicted of manslaughter on Friday, in a ruling that reflected the legal ambiguities of a case that has, by turns, fascinated and repulsed people here.

A court in Kassel, about 90 miles north of here, sentenced the man, Armin Meiwes, to eight-and-a-half years in prison for killing Bernd-Jürgen Brandes, who responded to an Internet posting by Mr. Meiwes seeking someone willing to be "slaughtered." The three-judge court rejected the prosecution's plea for a murder conviction and a life sentence.

"Both were looking for the ultimate kick," said the chief judge, Volker Mütze, after reading the verdict. "This was an act between two extremely disturbed people who both wanted something from each other."

The conviction on a lesser charge means that Mr. Meiwes could be released in less than five years.

Harald Ermel, a lawyer for Mr. Meiwes, said he would appeal the verdict. Mr. Ermel had argued that his client was only guilty of "killing on request," an illegal form of euthanasia that carries a maximum jail term of five years.

"He's a model prisoner," Mr. Ermel told reporters at the courthouse. "He will voluntarily undergo psychiatric therapy to get away from his fetish for men's flesh. I'm sure he won't do anything like this again."

That is not likely to calm the nerves of people in Rotenburg an der Fulda, the secluded village south of Kassel where Mr. Meiwes, 42, lived in a rambling half-timbered house. He played host there to four other men who responded to his Web posting, before finding the 43-year-old Mr. Brandes in March 2001.

What followed was an evening of sexual role-playing and violence, much of it videotaped by Mr. Meiwes. In the end, he stabbed Mr. Brandes to death with a kitchen knife, hung the corpse on a meat hook, and carved it up, storing pieces of flesh in plastic bags in his freezer.

"With every piece of flesh I ate, I remembered him," Mr. Meiwes said during his trial. "It was like taking communion."

It was hard to reconcile the placid, well-dressed defendant in the courtroom with the grisly testimony. Yet it was the legal dilemma, as much as the lurid details of the case, that consumed the court. Convicting Mr. Meiwes of murder would have been difficult, according to legal experts, because the victim consented, even pleaded, to be killed. But confining Mr. Meiwes to a psychiatric hospital would also have presented problems because a court-appointed psychiatrist testified that he was not suffering from "diminished responsibility" at the time of the killing.

Attached Files
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

i remember reading about this case when it first came out. if they both agreed to it, i don't see why it's a problem.

poor bastard.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
      i remember reading about this case when it first came out. if they both agreed to it, i don't see why it's a problem.

poor bastard.
      Hello!! Humans should not be a food source!!
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

yes they should, munch munch

Comment

Pass the Bier Ecth
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

If I walked up to you and yelled "KILL ME DAMNIT! ****ING KILL ME!" would that make killing me any less of a crime?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                If I walked up to you and yelled "KILL ME DAMNIT! ****ING KILL ME!" would that make killing me any less of a crime?
                It would in Germany.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I can't think of a thing to say. I mean, christ, the victim asked to be eaten... Do you punish the perpetrator on the basis that it's a bad example for the rest of society? Yikes.

Comment

Soylent Green is people! PEOPLE!!!

jon.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                      I can't think of a thing to say. I mean, christ, the victim asked to be eaten... Do you punish the perpetrator on the basis that it's a bad example for the rest of society? Yikes.
                      I argued this with Floyd when the story first broke.

There is a good reason to assume that anyone who would consent to being killed and eaten in this manner out of some sort of sexual fetish is, in fact, mentally insane and therefore unable to legally give such consent. The sentence therefore reflects the fact that a person should reasonably know that no sane person would consent to such a thing and therefore the defendant shouldn't have done it.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

did he ever say what fried penis tastes like?

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I argued this with Floyd when the story first broke.

There is a good reason to assume that anyone who would consent to being killed and eaten in this manner out of some sort of sexual fetish is, in fact, mentally insane and therefore unable to legally give such consent. The sentence therefore reflects the fact that a person should reasonably know that no sane person would consent to such a thing and therefore the defendant shouldn't have done it.

Comment

damn you Diss
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              did he ever say what fried penis tastes like?
                              mmm-mmm

Comment

Working...
                              X