No announcement yet.

Oh geez, Kerry's an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, maybe you didn't read the part about how a poor kid can volunteer for two years of service and then get a free higher education...
    I read it. I said vo-tech. Not college.

And for college, it isn't free if you have to work two years for it.

Plus, 4 years of tuition for 2 years of labor is not a good deal when you consider how relatively cheap tuition is for many state colleges – particularly those that have free or nearly-free tuition because of lottery funds.

Comment

While I abhore the idea of compulsory service, this:
      four years of college tuition in exchange for two years of national service.
      seems like a great idea. The government pays for people to go to college and in return they serve the country.
      Smile
      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

gamenaught,

I am not sure which college you went too, or if you are even old enough to have gone to college, but besides the local community college the average instate tuition is 8,000-15,000 dollars a year.

So no college is not free or next too free. If that was the case why do poorer people whine about it not being accesable?

And who said we can't make those 2 years of service vocational in nature? The highshcoolers would have to be unskilled but for two years of full time service I am sure you will pick up more than a few useful skills. And vocational schools are damned expensive if you start talking about mechanics and the like.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What? Most don't start until 30.

18 for graduation of HS, and add 8 years more (4 years for a BS and 4 years for a PhD), and you will be 26 before you start, but you can't be on your own yet for most of the time.

That's because there's lots to learn.
          you start before you get your PHD

for the most part after a year (on average) of grad school

also the PHD takes on average 5 years in physics, not sure about other science fields (this is in the US)

and I agree that there is a lot to learn (I am 2 years into a physics PHD), but it still doesn't stop it from being slow

JonMiller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Btw those of you using the stupid Kerry Jugund analogy (and I hate Kerry), you need to know something about history before using it in satire.

The Hitler Youth was the Nazi verion of the Boy Scouts.

What you are looking for is the Riech Labor Service (RAD), or Reichsarbeitsdienst. After gymnasium all youth had to serve a stint in the RAD unless they had a military/education waver.

So modify your trolls accordingly.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I don't like the idea Kerry is proposing...

another thing about Kerry that pisses me off: he's taken a page out of the Dean playbook, complaining about "special interests" when a non-partisan study came out showing Kerry, in the last 15 years, has taken more money from lobbyists and PAC's than ANY OTHER SENATOR!

anyone but Bush... but please, not Kerry or LIEberman...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                I don't like the idea Kerry is proposing...

another thing about Kerry that pisses me off: he's taken a page out of the Dean playbook, complaining about "special interests" when a non-partisan study came out showing Kerry, in the last 15 years, has taken more money from lobbyists and PAC's than ANY OTHER SENATOR!

anyone but Bush... but please, not Kerry or LIEberman...
                So, Sava, why do you hate Jewish people?
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

gamenaught,

I am not sure which college you went too, or if you are even old enough to have gone to college, but besides the local community college the average instate tuition is 8,000-15,000 dollars a year.
                  Tuition and fees at major universities are compiled annually by the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges. The data come from surveys each school completes.

Nationwide, tuition and fees average $4,100 for the upcoming year, said Cheryl Fields, the association's public affairs director.
                  http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/6556428.htm Aug. 18, 2003

And that is BEFORE grants, etc.

Comment

So no college is not free or next too free.
                    In Some States, Free Tuition Is Already Here

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

So, Sava, why do you hate Jewish people?
                      not anymore than any one else
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Perhaps a source I don't have to register to use.

Not to attack that one, I just don' t like registering to every website on the web.

Comment

• wow. a great idea from a democrat. go Kerry!
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• you think the feds can collect taxes for it, hand the money out, and then with hold it if we all don't do as told? Pray tell, where in the Constitution did you find all this power?

Um... very easily.

16th Amendment (right to collect income tax). It is not unconstitutional to charge 90% income tax on everyone. And where should all that money go? Is there anything in the Constitution which says the Congress MUST spend that money on anything? If the government can collect money, it must also be able to give it back out, right? And there is nothing in the Constitution saying Congress is prohibited from giving it to certain states on the basis on their choices.

In view of the 16th Amendment, I challenge you find somewhere in the Constitution saying Congress can't give the money out in any way it wishes. Nothing in the document says Congress can't pick and chose which states to give money to based on general revenues it has gotten.

Oh, now it's the state's decision?

Always has been. The states will impliment it, Kerry will just threaten a small part of education funding.

BESIDES, what you think is Constitutional is 100% irrelevent. What the SCOTUS thinks and will rule, is.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• BESIDES, what you think is Constitutional is 100% irrelevent. What the SCOTUS thinks and will rule, is.
                              thats true and the Borkian idealogy of Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas, and others will shut this down, especially so long after 9/11 and the spirit of 9/11 that inspired this, has largely passed.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I really hate this idea.

But VOLUNTARY VOLUNTARY VOLUNTARY service to pay for college would be great.
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X