No announcement yet.

Free Will, Where Does It Come From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is indeed possible that we might never prove we live in a deterministic world.

Kant uses a very simple argument on this: in practice, you cannot act if you don't believe to have 'free will'- because sitting down and waiting for an impulse will never urge you to do something.

As Strangelove implies, the functioning of the brain is so complex that the only determinism could be found at the atom level, but not on biological grounds.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Dr Strangelove

Interesting about the cat. Electrical impulses or whatever may govern our actions, but no-one is claiming in defence of free will that electricity (or whatever) is unimportant. With free will, it is our spontaneous freedom that perhaps creates the electric current in order for a response.

Someone else may argue that once we reach such a level of understanding we will find that the human mind in all it's complexity, and working upon the basis of the subjective-objective reciprocal duality, creates in itself an entity that is original and integral above it's environment and thus exhibits "free will".
      I don't see how acausality can come from a deterministic view. Additionally, there are other complex systems, far more complex than the brain. Consider for an example for trillions of particles involved in weather patterns. Do you assume consciousness in a storm because of its complexity?

The more I think about this, the more sure I seem to become that panpsychism is going down the correct route - that everything has some form of rudimentary self-awareness.

Free will is connected with quantum levels of physics - effectively, when the wavefunction is collapsed, quantum particles have the option of "where to be". Only they themselves know, and it's a private decision. A very good metaphor with human behaviour and how feelings like pain are private - the outside universe doesn't know them. That the outside universe is unaware of what we are feeling is an amazing thought - and completely puts paid to determinism (if it hasn't been counted out already). If only "I" know what I am thinking and feeling, the outside world must wait for me to act before it can know how to respond.

This may sound a bit jumbled, and to be honest I haven't had time to formulate a sound, logical process for explaining it.

I believe free will comes in when there is an absence of physical laws to actually force our behaviour - there are apparently no laws forcing very small particles to behave one way or other. So they have the freedom - spontaneous freedom - to choose. They have free will, as do we.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• It's fascinating thinking about this. If you continue down the route that free will/consciousness appears when there is a lack of physical laws to govern particles, it can be argued that the creation of the universe was a conscious event as there may/must have been no rules in operation then. A kind of God?
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Actually Park, I don't remember who said it in the thread, but I have a firm belief that physically identical humans would react in the same way to the same stimulus.

In a normal scheme, it might be impossible to prove it, but once science allows us to make the 'brain in the vat' experiment, we might get a better understanding.

Comment

• "Actually Park, I don't remember who said it in the thread, but I have a firm belief that physically identical humans would react in the same way to the same stimulus."

Why would they, when physically identical systems have reacted differently in experiments?
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• [SIZE=1]
              Why would they, when physically identical systems have reacted differently in experiments?
              I'm talking about the human brain here, not physical systems. You will agree that the inner workings of a mammal's brain are probably unique in what we know of the world right now.

Comment

• "You will agree that the inner workings of a mammal's brain are probably unique in what we know of the world right now."

Hmm. Unique in what way?
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

• Originally posted by Park Avenue
                  "You will agree that the inner workings of a mammal's brain are probably unique in what we know of the world right now."

Hmm. Unique in what way?
                  I mean in the additional layer of complexity created by biological functions. I'm not a science expert, but it seems to me the relationship between brain molecules has something more than the relationship of H2O or COOH molecules.

Comment

Dr Strangelove

Interesting about the cat.
                    Yeah, but now my wife won't let us get another cat. D**n it!
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Dr Strangelove

I don't see how acausality can come from a deterministic view. Additionally, there are other complex systems, far more complex than the brain. Consider for an example for trillions of particles involved in weather patterns. Do you assume consciousness in a storm because of its complexity?
                      In the brain each neuron acts as a "decision point". In the atmosphere the molecules of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide don't react individually in a way that contributes to the dynamics of the weather, which is largely governed by forces much greater than those that act at the molecular level.
                      The more I think about this, the more sure I seem to become that panpsychism is going down the correct route - that everything has some form of rudimentary self-awareness.

Free will is connected with quantum levels of physics - effectively, when the wavefunction is collapsed, quantum particles have the option of "where to be". Only they themselves know, and it's a private decision. A very good metaphor with human behaviour and how feelings like pain are private - the outside universe doesn't know them. That the outside universe is unaware of what we are feeling is an amazing thought - and completely puts paid to determinism (if it hasn't been counted out already). If only "I" know what I am thinking and feeling, the outside world must wait for me to act before it can know how to respond.

This may sound a bit jumbled, and to be honest I haven't had time to formulate a sound, logical process for explaining it.

I believe free will comes in when there is an absence of physical laws to actually force our behaviour - there are apparently no laws forcing very small particles to behave one way or other. So they have the freedom - spontaneous freedom - to choose. They have free will, as do we.
                      You've got a lot of work left ahead of you if you're going to develop these ideas!
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• By what I know about the brain I think free will is the abillity of the prefrontal cotex to regulate signals from other parts of the brain (hence the readiness potential) using information from memory sent from the thalamus. When we think about a problem the prefrontal cortex cycles through memories and when it finds the right memory, like that 2+2=4, the impulse to write the number is released. The prefrontal cortex going through memory is what causes the readiness potenial, I think. So we don't exactly have a free will, but we do have a veto, a free "won't", so to speak. That is why people with ADHD, like me, are somewhat impulsive, our prefrontal cortex is not properly developed. There is also evidence that serial killers tend to have a damaged prefrontal cortex, so that there is a possibility that serial crime is a brain disorder!

Comment

It may not be a probabilistic or deterministic universe in our senses of the world. Some sort of non-algorithmic thing.
                          There isn't anything BUT probabilistic and deterministic. Either the universe obeys rules, or it doesn't. It can't both not obey rules AND not not obey rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            It is indeed possible that we might never prove we live in a deterministic world.
                            More than that, it is logically IMPOSSIBLE to prove that we live in a deterministic world, or more precisely, to prove causation.

Comment

I'm talking about the human brain here, not physical systems. You will agree that the inner workings of a mammal's brain are probably unique in what we know of the world right now.
                              wrt physical laws, there isn't anything particularly unique about the electrons and quarks in your brain as opposed to the electrons and quarks in the air.

Comment

I mean in the additional layer of complexity created by biological functions. I'm not a science expert, but it seems to me the relationship between brain molecules has something more than the relationship of H2O or COOH molecules.
                                Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X