Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugby - We need a proper Title! (temp)

I don't know where Cali is and I don't really want to get flamed for bumping the one already at 500 so this will do for now ...

The big 'Meeting of minds' is almost upon us. Or at least one assumes that there will actually be others present besides Eddie, Clive and a certain Welshman who shall remain nameless ( although I would prefer teamless, but I can't have everything. ) whereupon the presence of actual intelligences becomes a real possibility.

I guess we expect Clive to want to knock the SH 'decoy' runners on the head and the SHers will likewise want to put a crimp in Mr Wilkinson's future points tally (although only a single point for a drop goal sounds a little harsh to me ... ).

I would think another increase in the value of a try might be in order and maybe reduce a field goal/penalty to 2 points apiece might be more likely ... ?

What about the presence (or more importantly the authority) of video referees?
    Should they be able to rule over more aspects of the game - even (potentially) overruling the on-field ref if the situation warranted? ie: Should they be able to act without having the ref pass the ball, so to speak?
    It's probably too soon for that one but it has come up in a fan 'suggestion box' or two of late.

Imagine the tragic effect on these threads if nobody were able to blame a loss on a ref or use a again ...

Thanks for starting the new thread!

What you need to bear in mind about this IRB meeting is that NZ bring a new boy to the table and the Aussie incumbent seems to be actively reviled by the committee. The Boks have no coach to send. We risk having Sir Clive dictate everything.

My predications? There will be no change at all in the points for a drop goal or penalties. There seems to be little support for this outside Aus and NZ (both teams currently playing fly halves that can’t do drops). I don’t think there’s any foundation to the penalty argument – it would considerably increase infringements by defending sides as two points would become far preferable to conceding eight under your proposal!

It does seem there is considerable support for harmonising the obstruction/dummy runner laws between NH and SH and form the comments I have heard it seems likely you will need to kiss those decoys goodbye lads as they make it too hard for the ref to call if it’s obstruction or not. Stop men running ahead of the ball carrier full stop and the problem disappears?

Should they be able to act without having the ref pass the ball, so to speak?
    For what it’s worth I vote “no”. The ref, even if they are as bad as Andre Watson in the RWC final, should stay in control and decide when video refs should be refered to. The other route leads us the way of US football (3 hours per match?) and sod that for a game of soldiers!

Imagine the tragic effect on these threads if nobody were able to blame a loss on a ref or use a again ...
    And what makes you think it wouldn’t simply transfer to the video ref instead?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Re: Rugby - We need a proper Title! (temp)

Originally posted by ravagon
      I don't know where Cali is and I don't really want to get flamed for bumping the one already at 500 so this will do for now ...
      Cal can't post from work like he used to. I still think:

Rugby - Vale J**** is the most appropriate title.

I guess we expect Clive to want to knock the SH 'decoy' runners on the head
      Unlikely. He's taken to it like a psychotic to avoiding his medication.

I would think another increase in the value of a try might be in order and maybe reduce a field goal/penalty to 2 points apiece might be more likely ... ?
      I'd certainly reduce the field goal/penalty to two points. The field goal is over-rewarded, IMHO, regardless of Wilko's ability. If the off-side law is policed, it's too easy to set up for and complete a field goal. And, these days, IMHO, too many teams settle for milking penalties. Still, I'm not sure that reducing their value will see fewer of either. I'm not sure that increasing the value of a try will, either. A point is a point, after all.

What about the presence (or more importantly the authority) of video referees?
      Should they be able to rule over more aspects of the game - even (potentially) overruling the on-field ref if the situation warranted? ie: Should they be able to act without having the ref pass the ball, so to speak?
      It's probably too soon for that one but it has come up in a fan 'suggestion box' or two of late.
      Mmmm. The same position in which cricket finds itself. Interrupt the game for the sake of absolute accuracy? It's a curly one. There's nothing worse than seeing a replay that indicates the ref made a corker of a blunder. I suspect that living with the current system requires an acceptance of the notion that (a) mistakes will be made; and (b) they will even out over a game. A very curly one.

Speaking of Tamerlin, where is the garçon?
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
        We risk having Sir Clive dictate everything.
        Sorry, psychotics won't be allowed entry without a leave pass from their institution.

It does seem there is considerable support for harmonising the obstruction/dummy runner laws between NH and SH and form the comments I have heard it seems likely you will need to kiss those decoys goodbye lads as they make it too hard for the ref to call if it’s obstruction or not. Stop men running ahead of the ball carrier full stop and the problem disappears?
        See my post above. Besides, it's quite clear when a runner is obstructing a defender and quite clear when he's not. If the ball is passed to the left and a runner is in front of the ball to the right - or vice versa - there can be no obstruction.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Re: Rugby - We need a proper Title! (temp)

Originally posted by ravagon

Sounds like the end of the world...
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It would be too good to be true... they won't have the guts to do so, I am betting 20 Civ gold on this one.

For what it’s worth I vote “no”. The ref, even if they are as bad as Andre Watson in the RWC final, should stay in control and decide when video refs should be refered to. The other route leads us the way of US football (3 hours per match?) and sod that for a game of soldiers!
            There should be two refs on the field and the video referee should have the power to refuse a try when he spots a foul before the try line though I agree he should only be used to validate a try or not.

I don't think the penalty should be reduced to 2 points, it would lose its dissuasive power and encourage the defences to commit more fouls.
            Last edited by Tamerlin; January 21, 2004, 08:33.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Don't worry Tamerlin - the NH is at the peak of it's influence and our SH opponents all in disarray and still numbed by the idea 'Bill' came north. Now is our time to set the tone.

Martins autobiography is cracking. He talks of the return from injury of Tigers (and England) tight head Darren Garforth for our home game with Bath at the end of the 1999/2000 season. So fired up was Golly that he was running around shouting "I'm back" and after one of our tries was on his way back to our half when Dorian West handed him a water bottle saying "thirsty mate?" to which he received an in your face scream of "I'm back!" and was forearm smashed to the ground for his trouble.

Funny breed these props. Or the dangers of psyching up. One or the other.

ps Darren is a really nice bloke off the field!
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Don't worry Tamerlin - the NH is at the peak of it's influence and our SH opponents all in disarray and still numbed by the idea 'Bill' came north. Now is our time to set the tone.

Martins autobiography is cracking. He talks of the return from injury of Tigers (and England) tight head Darren Garforth for our home game with Bath at the end of the 1999/2000 season. So fired up was Golly that he was running around shouting "I'm back" and after one of our tries was on his way back to our half when Dorian West handed him a water bottle saying "thirsty mate?" to which he received an in your face scream of "I'm back!" and was forearm smashed to the ground for his trouble.

Funny breed these props. Or the dangers of psyching up. One or the other.

ps Darren is a really nice bloke off the field!

Sometimes I wonder if forwards are not aliens coming from another solar system...

Comment

It also nearly got me in trouble as I was reading it at my desk and burst out laughing just after my big big boss had walked by the door...

Comment

If nobody objects I"ll take up Finbar's suggestion for the new thread...
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Havak certainly won't object. But I will certainly object if it's not spelled J****!

Comment

Mmmmm. Sorry to see you living in the past. Still, I suppose it's a lot more attractive than the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                          There should be two refs on the field
                          Yes!

*assumes hell has frozen over on the basis that Tamerlin has finally made a sensible suggestion*

Comment

I don't think your avatar realizes it's being teased by my avatar, finbar.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

How about "Rugby - Blood, Violence, Devastation, Death and Horror"?

Seems to take into account most of the important stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X