Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education in Iraq -- the key to a new democracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a nice enough guy to have stood up for you commies in the other thread about communist education.

back off

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I think we might consider taking a look at Afganistan to see what might come out of Iraq.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

What are all the different religious sects in Iraq as of now, anyway??
        Shia and Sunni Islam, Nestorian Christianity, and Judaism. There are probably more in the Kurdish areas. That region was always a hotbed for weird Islamic sects.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So to the extent that any worshipping-US propaganda is instilled into Iraqi education system, it will depend on which religious sect or political secular sect becomes predominant after Iraq is reconstructed.

Comment

Shia will be predominent in any system except a dictatorship. They are 80% of the population. It would be most undemocratic otherwise.

Comment

Does anyone know the demographics of the Shia group? Are the predominantly affluent? How religiously active are the majority of the Shia?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Shia will be predominent in any system except a dictatorship. They are 80% of the population. It would be most undemocratic otherwise.
                60% actually.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Mr. Fun your initial assesment that education molds overall public opinion is questionable. I think it much more likely that general Iraq public opinion will be derived mostly from media sources.

As such public opinion will be largely tied to who is doing the best media coverage both in the short term and long term.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie -- I think it's a combination of both. Education and the media both play roles in shaping a society's norms and values.

Comment

Agreed. I simply believe the effect of media is a more immediate effect and has greater impact due to its large audience whilst education's audience is a much smaller segment.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                      X