Iowa, my Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa, my Iowa

I was somewhat surprised to learn that John Edwards has pulled into a statistical tie in Iowa with Dean, Kerry, and Gephart. While he still is a long shot to win there, it must really be acknowledged that an Edwards scenario to the White House is plausible.

Even a second place showing in Iowa would ignite a big upsurge in Edwards' polling for the big southern showdown that looms just over the horizon. Edwards may not be able to win the nomination but he certainly has to be considered a vice presidential possibility due to Democratic weakness in the South.

That would certainly set the stage for Edwards to confront Mrs. Clinton for the top spot later.

However you peel the banana, it is difficult to see the Democratic party putting anyone but a southerner in the White House. Kennedy was the last northern Democrat to make it and that was a stolen election. Gore almost made it, failing because he lost in his home state. I think that was a direct result of his long career in Washington during which I think he neglected his base back home.

Edwards is considered a lightweight by many but he was a sucessful trial lawyer, he won a Senate seat in North Carolina, which is never a given for a Democrat, and if you compare him to George Bush I think he is electable.

With Dean's campaign in real trouble now, I think John Edwards is one to keep an eye on.

What about Kerry? He went from third by a longshot to pretty much tied within a couple of days.

Kerry, yay!

Comment

I'm wondering what groups of people are being polled.

But I am pleasantly surprised by what appears to be a jump up for Kerry.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whether that surge in support translates into people coming out. You can be sure most of Dean's supporters will stand up and be counted, as they are more fervent.

I can't see Kerry inspiring anyone. His speech yesterday was a snoozer. I actually prefer Gephart's platform, but I don't forgive his vote for war and his spinelessness towards the Repugs. Plus those blond eybrows and red face are just funny looking.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
          I'm wondering what groups of people are being polled.

But I am pleasantly surprised by what appears to be a jump up for Kerry.
          Me too, on both things you said.

chegitz:

Yeah, he's boring, but so what. He's moderate, experienced and a career politician, exactly what Bush isn't. Plus I'm from MA and it gives us more clout.

Comment

I'm from MA too, and Kerry is my second pick. I'm very happy that he's the frontrunner in Iowa (by less than a point), because it means that Dean's message is now slipping. I feel that New Hampshire will go Clark, Kerry, Dean. This may become a three way race, at least from NH to the Feb 3rd primaries.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Dean can stand to lose Iowa, but if he doesn't win NH, he's done. After that, support for him will almost totally evaporate.

I'd keep my eyes on Clark more than Edwards. Clark is also a Southerner (hehehehe no really), and he's the one who will most benefit by Dean's fall. Now a Clark-Edwards ticket would be interesting...it would have the Southern appeal plus the youth and energy. Hmmm...
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I wonder who has been leaking all the dirt on Dean and Clark on the Thursday (the normal day for the dirt to hit the fan) before the caucuses?
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I find all the media attention on Iowa right now, quite flattering.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

What about Kerry? He went from third by a longshot to pretty much tied within a couple of days.

Kerry, yay!

Clark is also a Southerner (hehehehe no really)

Where is Clark from?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Where is Clark from?
                      Little Rock, Arkansas

Comment

The South apart from Florida is a Republican lock. It's foolish even to try.
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                          The South apart from Florida is a Republican lock. It's foolish even to try.
                          Depends. If it's a Clark-Edwards ticket, some more of the South is in play, if just Arkansas and North Carolina.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Exactly Mono, the democrats would be smart to just cut their losses, and throw the south to the wind.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lots of Northerners are moving to the South. NC and Atlanata have become huge magnates for tech workers. Georgia only went Republican in the last election ebcause Black people turned out in much lower numbers than usual.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X