proposal for a history forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proposal for a history forum

We should have a specific forum dedicated to history. A good model would be chris's history forum at FFZ.

1. OT is too cluttered and threads get lost after a few days. At FFZ, the history stuff stays around for a while and the quality of the essays deserves that.

2. We would have more traffic than FFZ...and some people don't like the political slant there...so our own frum would be good.

3. Civ is very history oriented.

I second it, there are some very good discussions on CFC history forum from time to time, and suprisingly they remeain relatively serious and academic.

It might keep history people from threadjacking current events topics (guilty...)
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I am with it aswell! Though just one pan-historical forum, several for time periods would be excessive.
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Good idea. Let's do it.
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Sure, though its never going to happen.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I've argued passionately for this many times. Unfortunately, it would be considered to be another "off topic" forum as it's unconnected to the gaming industry.

Seeing as "off topic" issues are held by certain key figures as being about as welcome as a flask of nitroglycerine in a vibrator, don't hold your breath.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

nitroglycerine in a vibrater? Sounds like an explosive orgasm to me

Yeah, i think i have seen the issue dismissed a few times myself

Comment

Laz...you are a ray of sunshine. We could try it and see how it works.

The one in FFZ is pretty decent actually. Besides stories are OT and they are out of here. And history is near and dear to y'all armchair generals hearts. If there is some spam/post count issue, make it no post count or make it moderated by a hardass, I mean MTG or both.

Comment

History has a direct link with Civ though, so I think it is not really OT so to speak.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

the problem with OT is its here for people to have a winge about something usually

History threads can die if posted at just the wrong moment

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                      the problem with OT is its here for people to have a winge about something usually

History threads can die if posted at just the wrong moment
                      I would rather they were in a forum with slower torunover. And if we could get essays like chris does that would be great. I think it would be even better than chris's site since we have more traffic here and there would be more discussion.

i could go over as an emmisary to ask him to host a history forum. Maybe if we made it so that he only had to be there, he wouldn't get so pissed off at 16 year old computer geeks saying that WTC deserved to happen.

Plus, he would fulfill the twin mod missions of being a hardass and knowing history. If he stayed in professional mode, then maybe the conflicts with OTers would not be an issue.

-----------------------

But it is not all around Chris. There are others who could do a good job there. MTG as a start. Or Mr. Fun (serious).

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                        Laz...you are a ray of sunshine. We could try it and see how it works.

Besides stories are OT and they are out of here.
                        Note that there's no "general fiction". Only SMAC fiction, Civ3 fiction and other gaming-related fiction.

I've also asked about a stand-alone fiction forum. Guess what the response was.

Comment

such a pity... i take it the NES forums have gone...
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

maybe we could do some sort of petition?

like try to get 33% of regular poly users to say they want one. I mean, history forums would definatly help scenario makers for a start.

Comment

There's a history forum at CFC.

Comment

Working...
                              X