Global economic crisis looms - thanks to Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global economic crisis looms - thanks to Bush

The International Monetary Fund says that excessive spending by the Bush administration threatens to create a global economic crisis.

WASHINGTON – With its rising budget deficit and ballooning trade imbalance, the United States is running up a foreign debt of such record-breaking proportions that it threatens the financial stability of the global economy, according to report released yesterday by the International Monetary Fund.

Prepared by a team of IMF economists, the report sounded a loud alarm about the shaky fiscal foundation of the United States, questioning the wisdom of the Bush administration's tax cuts and warning that large budget deficits pose "significant risks" for the United States and the rest of the world.

The report warns that the United States' net financial obligations to the rest of the world could be equal to 40 percent of its total economy within a few years – "an unprecedented level of external debt for a large industrial country," according to the IMF, that could play havoc with the value of the dollar and international exchange rates.

The dangers, according to the report, are that the United States'

Will Americans get rid of Bush before storm hits?
    Golfing since 67

Why didn't you post the rest of the article, including the part showing the Bush administration's reactions to the IMF document? Didn't want people to get both sides of the story?
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I denounce this thread on the grounds that it is racist.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Uh yeah, the IMF got a deal on paper down at Office Barn. And no, the U.S. really doesn't give a damn what the IMF thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          Why didn't you post the rest of the article, including the part showing the Bush administration's reactions to the IMF document? Didn't want people to get both sides of the story?
          Yeah, that's why I didn't provide a link.

The Bushie boys claim they're trying to cut the deficit in half. Have you seen any signs of this happening? Nope.

Quite the opposite. Bush is getting ready to promise more money for space exploration.

Republicans like to claim that deficit spending is great for the US, but clearly, the Bush's habit of giving taxpayers money to his buddies is setting the stage for a global economic meltdown.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

I want to see what happens when the US hits yearly budget deficits of 1 trillion.

Sooner, rather than later at this pace.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
              Uh yeah, the IMF got a deal on paper down at Office Barn. And no, the U.S. really doesn't give a damn what the IMF thinks.
              They'd better. If the rest of the world decides that the US dollar is no longer a suitable reserve currency then you are screwed big time.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

today i tripped and fell

i blame george bush
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                  today i tripped and fell

i blame george bush
                  For being unco?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

the shaky fiscal foundation of the United States
                    uh...sure. The poor, poor US economic foundation. Perhaps France will bail us out?
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

uh...sure. The poor, poor US economic foundation. Perhaps France will bail us out?
                      They won't bail you out, they'll just start using the Euro as a reserve. In fact that is looking a better idea every day.

That would mean among other things, less financial independence and higher inflation for the US.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

yeah, cos the euro isn't a bad joke *cough* stability pact *cough*
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

Actually the US is already being bailed out - by the central banks of Japan and China, which are selling their currencies to support the dollar, if (when?) they stop the dollar will crash pushing up inflation and interest rates.

Whilst the US corporate sector has repaired it's balance sheet those of households have stayed just as bad as they were during the peak of the boom - and the US government's underlying financial position has deteriorated by nearly $800bn a year!

If you look at the combined financial balance of Government and Households which has to be financed by either borrowing from abroad, selling US assets to foreigners or US corporations making profits but not reinvesting them for future growth.
                          This combined balance was +2% of GDP during the 1960's, it wobbled in the range of 0% to +4% during the 1970's.
                          After Reagan was elected it went to -2% and stayed there untill the late 1990's when it moved back into balance.
                          Since then it has deteriorated rapidly and it now stands at -7% and shows no sign of even slowing it's deterioration!

To bring some balance into the system the US will have to either:
                          a) Slash it's military and give up the mantle of superpowerdom.
                          b) Abolish a major social spending program (like pensions, healthcare or education).
                          c) Bring it's levels of taxation up to european levels.
                          Last edited by el freako; January 9, 2004, 09:24.
                          19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Originally posted by el freako
                            To bring some balance into the system the US will have to either:
                            a) Slash it's military and give up the mantle of superpowerdom.
                            b) Abolish a major social spending program (like pensions, healthcare or education).
                            c) Bring it's levels of taxation up to european levels.
                            Well, none of these options are acceptable. a) would cripple our national defense, b) would hurt the lower class, and c) would devastate our economy causing huge unemployment.
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

The weak dollar is already causing rises in oil prices. Oil is traded internationally in US dollars; since the dollar is weak, OPEC is allowing oil prices to rise in order to maintain their buying power with the deflated dollar.

Meanwhile, Japan is trying to keep the Yen from gaining too much value, as this hurts Japanese exports. Once again, with the weakened dollar the money they have spent to keep their economy on track has been for naught.

GW's tax cut was reckless and irresponsible. You can have it back now, I don't want it if it's going to **** up the entire world economy.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                              X