Powell: No evidence of al-Qaida link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

They made a lot of suppositions and stated them as facts. Exaggerated a lot of things. Knowingly presented false intelligence (African uranium)

And I remember how uncomfortable Powell was in front of UN. He knew he was lying and had enough decency left to feel bad about it.
    I don't think he thought he was lying (haven't seen the speech though.) DOn't know what he said in it. Don't think we made a lie on uranium.

I agree with the comments about making too strong of a case and the moral issue of dishonesty in doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I didn't say it was "ok". It certainly doesn't make it legal (guerillas are not afforded protection under Geneva Convention for a reason).

But it doesn't make me very angry either.
      they have some rights actually. I don't remember the exact details, but it is pretty generous in treating partisans and such as war prisoners.

Comment

I don't think so. Only those who have "spontaneously taken up arms" in unoccupied territory, and who bear them openly get POW status under aricle 6(?)
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You might be right. I am trying to reach back to a weeklong summer course at USNA. Looked at something on the web and seemed to back up your view...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            Well, it is good that Powell tries to restore his credibility, after the disgrace of last year in the UN
            And you are giving thumbs-up here? It's not like at first he sincerely believed what he said at the UN, and then, many months later, realized the truth and acknowledged it. On the contrary, they planned it all from the very beginning like this: to lie at first, and then, when the business is done, to acknowledge the truth and thus partly "restore their credibility". Therefore, what Powell says now is nothing more than continuation of one big lie.
            Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

It is obvious they knew they were lying from the beginning, but I don't think it was planned that the lie gets admitted.

Powell was the one in the White House who was pushing for the UN to take part in the war, which explains why he was the one to present the 'proof' rather than Bush himself or the head of the Intelligence.

I am convinced that Powell didn't enjoy at all to tell the lies his president ordered him to tell, and it showed, as his lies were of poor quality and sounded unconvincing even in his mouth.

I think that Powell had no choice between following these orders he disagreed with, and resigning. I believe the guy refused to resign to avoid worsening the diplomatic situation in a very untimely manner. You'll notice he made it public shortly later that he would not be a member of the Bush team after the reelection.

I think Powell admitted the weak intelligence for his own sake,rather than for the service to the Bushies. But maybe I'm completely wrong in thinkng this guy is the only one in the administration that deserves to be respected.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

oh save it. Friggin saddam-lover. France is just dissapointed their boy is gone and dissappointed that htheri little power truggle lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  It is obvious they knew they were lying from the beginning, but I don't think it was planned that the lie gets admitted.
                  Of course they planned it! More precisely, they planned that they would either come across some solid evidence a posteriori (and then their lies would be covered), or admit their "mistake".

Note: they don't admit a lie, they admit a mistake!

Powell was the one in the White House who was pushing for the UN to take part in the war, which explains why he was the one to present the 'proof' rather than Bush himself or the head of the Intelligence.
                  And this was his huge mistake. The US would be in a far better position now if went to war without the UN and without all those lies.

I am convinced that Powell didn't enjoy at all to tell the lies his president ordered him to tell, and it showed, as his lies were of poor quality and sounded unconvincing even in his mouth.
                  Of course he was embarassed. Nonetheless he did it.

I think that Powell had no choice between following these orders he disagreed with, and resigning. I believe the guy refused to resign to avoid worsening the diplomatic situation in a very untimely manner.
                  Well, perhaps this can partly exculpate him. At that point his choice was horrible: either to lie, or to put his country in an embarrassing situation. In this sense, he sacrificed himself for his country.

You'll notice he made it public shortly later that he would not be a member of the Bush team after the reelection.
                  But he retracted from this when confronted by the media. Well, perhaps it was also planned like this: spread gossip first, and then deny it when asked. This is a "soft" way of spreading the news.

I think Powell admitted the weak intelligence for his own sake,rather than for the service to the Bushies. But maybe I'm completely wrong in thinkng this guy is the only one in the administration that deserves to be respected.
                  I don't believe he could make this statement without consulting with the adminitration. You seem to idealize Powell a little bit. Before his speech to the UN he was certainly a decent person, and it's a pity that circumstamces turned for him in this way.
                  Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                  X