Powell: No evidence of al-Qaida link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell: No evidence of al-Qaida link

Powell admits what we all know...No concrete evidence of a link between Iraq and al-Qaida. However...where there is smoke there is fire. Powell also says that he believes their was a link.
    Powell: No ‘smoking gun’
    Jan. 8: But the secretary of state insisted the United States was right to invade Iraq. NBC’s Andrea Mitchell reports.
    Nightly News

No proof links Iraq, al-Qaida, Powell says
    Chief weapons inspector reportedly about to quit
    NBC, MSNBC and news services
    Updated: 8:11 p.m. ET Jan. 08, 2004WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Colin Powell reversed a year of administration policy, acknowledging Thursday that he had seen no “smoking gun [or] concrete evidence” of ties between former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida.

Powell, speaking at a news conference at the State Department, stressed that he was still certain that Iraq had dangerous weapons and needed to be disarmed by force, and he sharply disagreed with a private think tank report that maintained that Iraq was not an imminent threat to the United States.

“I have not seen smoking gun, concrete evidence about the connection, but I do believe the connections existed,” he said.

Powell’s observation marked a turning point in administration arguments in support of the U.S. invasion of Iraq last spring. The assertion that Saddam and the terrorist network led by Saudi fugitive Osama bin Laden were working in concert was a primary justification for the war.

As recently as September, President Bush declared that there was “no question” that Saddam had ties to al-Qaida.

Powell himself made the case most strongly in February, when he urged the U.N. Security Council to back U.S. military action in Iraq. “Iraqi officials deny accusations of ties with al-Qaida,” Powell said then. “These denials are simply not credible.”

Powell defended those comments Thursday, even as he cast doubt on their conclusions. He said that at the time, he was referring specifically to the presence of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Baghdad for medical treatments.

The United States has accused al-Zarqawi of being a close associate of bin Laden’s, but intelligence agencies in France and other European countries that opposed the U.S. war argued that al-Zarqawi was an independent operator.

“I'm confident of what I presented last year,” Powell said. “The intelligence community is confident of the material they gave me. I was representing them. It was information they presented to the Congress. It was information they had presented publicly, and they stand behind it. And this game is still unfolding.”
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Well, it is good that Powell tries to restore his credibility, after the disgrace of last year in the UN

As for the administration blatantly lying to favor the war: is it still a surprise to anybody?
    And if not, I wonder what Bush enthusiastics can say to justify the fact that he had to manipulate you guys to get support. What were his motives, if he needed to get support so badly he had to blatantly lie to you? Really?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

how about the disgrace of the French sucking on Saddam's red rosy and doing it for cash. cheese eating surrender monkeys with shade for marching Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
        how about the disgrace of the French sucking on Saddam's red rosy and doing it for cash. cheese eating surrender monkeys with shade for marching Germans.
        Not a bad two liner. If I analyse it, it features:
        - French are gays
        - a usual reference everybody who was around during the war knows
        - an obscure reference to a joke posted a few days ago
        - a complete lack of continuity, only to allow as many insults with as few words as possible.

Really, I'm impressed
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

De rien.

Comment

No concrete evidence of a link between Iraq and al-Qaida. However...where there is smoke there is fire. Powell also says that he believes their was a link.
            Ah, your knowledge of the political history from the past 30 years seems to be truly impressing.

Comment

TCO, your jokes are even less funny than MrFun's. PLEASE leave the humor to the experts (Laz and Stfeu.)
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Laz is too loquacious. And stefu never laughs at mine.

The Brain was the funny one. Him and Gregor.

Comment

TCO, you really think that your trolls have any humorous value? They're worse than Comrade Tassadar's.

Comment

they make me happy...

Comment

Comment

TCO - The Complete Offender
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I still love you and your in-your-face comedic stylings, GP.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Go! Go!
                            TCO!

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

*stops crying*

Comment

Working...
                              X