• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What're you taking this term?

Students only, for obvious reasons.

My schedule: http://members.shaw.ca/asher19/w04.png

Courses:
    CPSC 411: Compiler Construction I
    Introduction to compilers, interpreters, and the tools for parsing and translation. Lexical analysis, context free grammars and software tools for their recognition. Attribute grammars and their applications in translation and compiling.

CPSC 413: Design And Analysis Of Algorithms I
    Techniques for the analysis of algorithms, including counting, summation, recurrences, and asymptotic relations; techniques for the design of efficient algorithms, including greedy methods, divide and conquer, and dynamic programming; examples of their application; an introduction to tractable and intractable problems.

CPSC 471: Database Management Systems
    Conceptual, internal and external databases. Relational database systems and SQL. The normal forms, database design, and the entity-relationship approach.

CPSC 481: Human-computer Interaction I
    Fundamental theory and practice of the design, implementation, and evaluation of human-computer interfaces. Topics include: principles of design; methods for evaluating interfaces with or without user involvement; techniques for prototyping and implementing graphical user interfaces.

SENG 411: Human & Org Aspect Software Engineering
    Addresses the human and organizational aspects of software development. Topics will include requirements engineering techniques, formal specifications, human factors, software documentation and manuals, software project management, social, ethical, and professional issues. Emphasizes a large-group project.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I know it should be obvious, but list your major too. I like to see what electives or outside courses ppl take for certain majors and what is required, etc...

Thanks

Oh, and I am "taking pipe" from the boss again Seems to be my favorite course

I'll be going back to school soon, on the Co.'s budget of course. Thinking Buisness, any one know anything about that?
    Monkey!!!

Comment

My major is...(brace yourselves)...Computer Science, with my concentration in Software Engineering. I'm done all my options already.

No more bull**** social science/humanities crap for me.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm taking classes.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

ANT 170 - Popular Archaeology (Fills a GenEd)

Many popular ideas about the past are at odds with what professional archaeologists think they know. Most of us find the past inherently interesting, without embellishment. But we are commonly confronted by intriguing beliefs in visits by ancient astronauts, the lost continent of Atlantis, etc. While some of these ideas may have merit, many do not. Develops methods for evaluating critically the archaeological record, sorting out science from pseudoscience and distinguishing that which is plausible from that which is unlikely.

ART 350 - Graphic Design II

Continued study of graphic design. Lab 6.

NMD490 - Programming in Max/MSP

Programming in the Max/MSP graphical language

NMD490 - Community Design

Focuses on design parameters for networked communities.

I'm a New Media major.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Edit: I suppose I should add descriptions too.

Quantum IV - Nuclei and nucleons, their gross properties; the hadrons; symmetries and conservation laws; nuclear stability; electromagnetic, weak, and hadronic interactions; nuclear reactions at low, medium, and high energies; nucleon structure; tools of experimental nuclear physics; models of theoretical nuclear physics; nuclear technology.

Relativity - Overview of the special and general theories of relativity, with emphasis on recent developments in gravitation.

Either Topology I - An introduction to topology, including sets, functions, cardinal numbers, and the topology of metric spaces or Algebraic Strucutures II (the algebra II prof is horrible, but I'd rather take it than topology) - Topics from vector spaces and modules, including direct sum decompositions, dual spaces, canonical forms, and multilinear algebra.

Imperialism and Globalization - All I know about the class is that the required books seem to only cover British imperialism.

Possibly some French class - I'm taking a placement test in a couple days, I might get out of it.

Basic German - It's a one-hour class taught by a grad student from Germany, so I and others who'll do research there over the summer can get around.
            Last edited by Ramo; January 8, 2004, 01:27.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Well when my semester starts again in March I'll be doing:

PHIL 261: Social and Political Philpsophy
              This course surveys theories about the nature of the state from classical antiquity to the 19th Century. It examines the institutions of family, property and hierarchy in the various theories under investigation. Related themes include the locus and weight of political authority, varying notions of virtue over time, and the role of religious justification in theories of the state.

POLS 247: International Relations: Wealth and World Affairs
              An extended introduction to the study of international relations, including discussion of the international political economy and international relations theory.

CLAS104: Greek History: Government and Society
              A survey of Greek history from Mycenaean times to the Roman conquest.

Yup I'm only doing three papers in the first semester.

Comment

I'm taking a BTEC - nay the BTEC - in Tropical Forest Habitat Conservation. Yeah. Beat that.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Associates of Arts: Architecture (transfers to UNLV for 74 credits)
                  (This will be my final semester in Reno ...of course, I'll probably have to return for winter and summer breaks )

AAD 228 ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN THEORY IV (3 credits)
                  Prerequisites: AAD 226, 227 and 235. Must be taken concurrently with AAD 229 and 236. Discussion of the elements, principles and theories of design as applied to projects related to each of the design professions. Emphasis is placed upon integration of design principles to urban landscapes, buildings, interiors, furnishings and environmental graphic applications.

AAD 229 ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN APPLICATIONS IV (2 credits)
                  Prerequisites: AAD 226, 227 and 235. Must be taken concurrently with AAD 228 and 236. Investigation of the elements, principles and theories of design as applied to projects related to each of the design professions. Emphasis is placed upon integration of design principles to urban landscapes, buildings, interiors, furnishings and environmental graphic applications.

AAD 236 ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN AND DELINEATION II (3 credits)
                  Prerequisites: AAD 226, 227 and 235. Must be taken concurrently with AAD 228 and 229. Investigation of verbal, oral and advanced graphic presentation techniques and graphic reproduction processes. Emphasis will be placed upon the written word, graphics and presentation of preparation of materials for portfolio submission to upper division courses.

GEOG 103 PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY (5 credits)
                  Physical elements of geography. Earth and its representation. Nature and distribution of climate, land forms, natural vegetation and soils. Three hours lecture and three hours lab per week. Transfers for four credits to UNR/UNLV. Satisfies UNR science core curriculum.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

advanced history courses:

Civil War Seminar

American Diplomacy

The Church in European Middle Ages
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm in Winter Session right now, and I'm taking:

PHIL204 - World Religions
                      "Varieties of religious belief and practice from diverse cultures, including representative Asian and Western traditions, studied mainly in terms of their historical development and importance."

An excellent class with an excellent professor

EDUC419 - Diversity in the Classroom
                      "Examines type and implications of student diversity in classrooms (cultural, gender, class, language, and handicapping conditional, cross-cultural processes and foundations of special education). Explores best practices in multicultural education, classroom management and inclusion of secondary students with special learning needs."

A fluff class for my EDUC requirement. Actually not bad so far, pretty easy A

In the Spring I'll be taking:

POSC100 - Intro to Political Science
                      "Introduction to the study of central concepts of the discipline, such as political power, authority, decision making, conflict management, representation and institutions of government."

Basic introductory Political Science class for Freshmen (Majors only) which I didn't take my Freshman year because, at the time, I wasn't a POSC major. Should be an easy A.

POSC300 - Data Analysis for POSC majors.
                      "Applied statistical analysis, including regression, analysis of variance, descriptive statistics and exploratory data analysis, statistical inference, and measurement."

Supposed to help with synthesis and application of what is learned in other POSC classes. Required for the major

POSC414 - Problems in American Foreign Policy
                      Contemporary problems in American foreign policy and policy making.

POSC423 - Congress and Public Policy
                      "Democratic functions of a modern legislature; legislative structures and processes; coalitions and cleavages; parties, ideological factions and interest groups; the Federal budget, national priorities and Congressional intervention in the economy; central policy issues before Congress; Congressional oversight of the bureaucracy; Congress and the Presidency; and election of the Congress."

GEOL105 - Geological Hazards (Lecture)
                      "Geological processes and events that adversely affect humans and civilization. Methods for predicting and dealing with geological hazards. May be taken with a 1 credit lab, GEOL115."

Breadth Requirement (Science w/Lab)

GEOL115 - Geological Hazards (Lab)
                      "Laboratory investigation of environmental geological processes and their impacton society: earthquakes, volcanoes, coastal hazards, rivers and streams, groundwater. Identification of earth materials and study of earth processes using topographical, geological and tectonic maps."

One Credit Lab to accompany GEOL105
                      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

MUAHHAHAH, I'M DONE THIS TERM! YO HEAR ME? DONE! I HAD THE LAST EXAM OF MY LIFE JUST YESTERDAY
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

What?! Not a single philosophy course, Asher?
                          Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Finished my last one last term (A-, for attending the first 3 lectures only).

As lovely a GPA booster as it is, the class makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten with morons.

Comment

But taking computer classes only should be rather hard. It dries out your soul. You should also take something more spiritual.
                              Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X