Top Ten World Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    See, the problem part with the British for all the rest of you tossers, is the Brits managed to create an empire who actually wanted and want to belong to it, even if they think it outmoded and too much of a burden today.

Even the Indians, who for reasons of their own go their own way, maintian links with the Imperial power and wouldn't trade English or cricket for anything. They are misguided in that cricket bit, but nobody's perfect.

So, go ahead comrade, have fun. As your empire of fear crumbled around you, you can think forlorn thoughts about how someone else actually got it right long before you tried, and their achivements will be remembered long after the dead husk of your tyranny is forgotten in the ash heaps of history.

Oh yes, and I fully expect some Aussie to flame this post.
    Yeah, because we all know how South Africa was a lovely example of freedom and liberty in that part of the British Empire.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• maybe you should read about south africa after 1910 before you put all the blame on us mrfun...
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• 1. USA
        2. UK
        3. China
        4. France
        5. Germany
        6. Russia
        7. Japan
        8. Canada
        9. India
        10. Notimportantenoughistan

Just couldn't come up with a worthy #10.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• A dynamic view

1. EU
          2. USA
          3. CHINA
          4. JAPAN
          5. RUSSIA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. USA
          4. JAPAN
          5. RUSSIA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. USA
          5. RUSSIA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. RUSSIA
          5. USA
          6. CANADA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. RUSSIA
          5. CANADA
          6. USA
          7. BRAZIL

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. RUSSIA
          5. CANADA
          6. BRAZIL
          7. USA
          8. INDIA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. RUSSIA
          5. CANADA
          6. BRAZIL
          7. INDIA
          8. USA
          9. NIGERIA

1. EU
          2. CHINA
          3. JAPAN
          4. RUSSIA
          5. CANADA
          6. BRAZIL
          7. INDIA
          8. NIGERIA
          9. USA
          10. TONGA
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• Mordor.

Comment

• @ davout
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I think y'all are underestimating China.

1. Military - the only state that the US military really worries about
                2. Force projection - no they cant send a couple of battalions of paras to some african hellhole like France or UK can, but whats that really worth to France and UK? China CAN project force on the Korean peninsula, in Southeast Asia, and potentially against Russia.
                3. Diplomatic - important influence all across east asia, which collectively is THE most important and growing part of the planet. Influence in south asia, and central asia. Yes they dont assert themselves on the UNSC like France does, thats cause theyre too busy building up their real power, not overplaying a weak and declining hand.
                4. The power of their market - their large and growing market makes them particularly important to global industry.

Y'all are overestimating Israel - economy well below 10, diplomatically relatively isolated, military strong WHEN fully mobilized, which they cant be for very long. Doesnt belong on the top 10. Australia would be a better pick, for its economy, resources, strategic position, etc.

Brazil definitely a better pick than Saudi, and even South Africa is worth a mention as a regional power.

Sheer size of economy would out Italy in or near the 10, i suspect a bias against Italy because of internal political weakness and no recent military successes.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Italy was going to be my #10, but yeah their political instability/military weakness led to me putting "notimportantenoughistan" in their place.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

2. Force projection - no they cant send a couple of battalions of paras to some african hellhole like France or UK can, but whats that really worth to France and UK? China CAN project force on the Korean peninsula, in Southeast Asia, and potentially against Russia.
                    But that´s not really the meaning of force projection. Every country with a mentionable army is able to move forces into regions at its borders or a bit further. What you say for China goes for Russia, India, and Pakistan as well. But not everyone can project force around the world in an acceptable timeframe, and with forces that can actually DO something there (heavy armor, air mobile forces, air power etc.). And the UK has just shown that it can send more than some battalions into the ME. I´d assume similar abilities for France.

When China attacked Vietnam in 1979 they had lots of difficulties, mildly expressed - some count this as complete failure. I´m not convinced that they´d do a lot better now.
                    Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro

But that´s not really the meaning of force projection. Every country with a mentionable army is able to move forces into regions at its borders or a bit further. What you say for China goes for Russia, India, and Pakistan as well. But not everyone can project force around the world in an acceptable timeframe, and with forces that can actually DO something there (heavy armor, air mobile forces, air power etc.). And the UK has just shown that it can send more than some battalions into the ME. I´d assume similar abilities for France.

When China attacked Vietnam in 1979 they had lots of difficulties, mildly expressed - some count this as complete failure. I´m not convinced that they´d do a lot better now.

with all due respect to our gallant British allies, they have sent about one division to the ME, with logistical support from the US, via friendly Kuwait. I assume China could do the same, if they chose. Indeed, by that standard Romania, Bulgaria, Spain, Dominican Republic, etc can all move at least some units around. I assume that was is meant by force projection is the ability to move ones own troops around without logistical support from allies, and where necessary via air drop or amphibious landing without assistance from any local state. UK and France may have that ability, but its not large scale, and not all that politically important.

Yup, China lost to NVA, who, at the time, were considered among the best infantry in the world. And who relied on the economic and logistic support of the SU, a superpower. The threat presented by China is a principle motive for VN's reconciliation with the US, yet one more example of Chinas importance in the Pacific sphere.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• with all due respect to our gallant British allies, they have sent about one division to the ME, with logistical support from the US, via friendly Kuwait. I assume China could do the same, if they chose.
                        On the timeline that we had before the war? Nope. Don't think so. You are forgetting that logistics are fairly complicated.

With the UK, we knew they had good quality as well.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney
                          maybe you should read about south africa after 1910 before you put all the blame on us mrfun...
                          My point is that superficial glorification of the British empire ignores the crimes that have been committed against various groups of people.

Oh -- I forgot to mention how British settlers in Australia hunted down aboriginals like they were game animals.

Comment

• A bit full of yourself today, are you not, MrFun?

I did not say that nothing bad ever happened in the Empire. I was trading barbs with the comrade.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• fine -- carry on

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                                I was trading barbs with the comrade.
                                The Soviet Union was more evil than the British Empire
                                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                                X