No announcement yet.

NFL: Manning & McNair win CO-MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manning is extraordinarily important to the colts success. I don't like him either. but realize mcnair's replacements WON. we can only speculate about mannings, but my guess is enormous tank.

and he's putting up just disgusting #'s. and is durable as **** at the position.

so lets recap. team leader, extremely durable, hall of fame numbers...

Comment

Stats shouldn't be a major part of the award... Andre Dawson won the NL MVP in 1987 because he had 49 homers... despite the fact that the Cubs were DEAD LAST.

As I read it, the MVP award is for "the player who has contributed most to his team's success". Success being a prerequisite. Manning's team had success, but compared to other players' importance to their respective teams, did Manning contribute most to his team's success? I don't believe he did.

And yes, I think Brady is more deserving of the award. New England has literally no offense without Brady. Yes, their defense is great and winning games... but without Brady at QB, New England's offense doesn't have enough to beat teams like INDIANAPOLIS for instance. Brady's offense outscored Manning's offense in the game. Such a matchup should factor into MVP decision making.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What I find interesting is how far Brady was behind the two co winners. I think most people are making excellent arguments on why Brady deserved it... but from looking at the final vote, he wasn't even close.

As with any "MVP" award, it is just a matter of opinion... but Brady deserved better than being a distant third.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          Stats shouldn't be a major part of the award... Andre Dawson won the NL MVP in 1987 because he had 49 homers... despite the fact that the Cubs were DEAD LAST.

As I read it, the MVP award is for "the player who has contributed most to his team's success". Success being a prerequisite. Manning's team had success, but compared to other players' importance to their respective teams, did Manning contribute most to his team's success? I don't believe he did.

And yes, I think Brady is more deserving of the award. New England has literally no offense without Brady. Yes, their defense is great and winning games... but without Brady at QB, New England's offense doesn't have enough to beat teams like INDIANAPOLIS for instance. Brady's offense outscored Manning's offense in the game. Such a matchup should factor into MVP decision making.
          well he did bring them back from 24 down against the super bowl champs. he did pull out a win against texas last sunday on the last drive.

sure brady doesn't have marvin harrison. but he has a disgustingly potent defense that keeps getting him the ball back. same w/ mcnair. and its not like brady's offense scores as much as peytons does anyway.

u can bely stats all u want. and stats can miss the whole story. BUT THEY ARE NOT IRRELEVANT.

Comment

but Brady deserved better than being a distant third.

In your opinion, maybe . I have him 4th in mine (behind Jamal Lewis as well).

Brady had almost the same exact stats last year but the D wasn't as good and they finished 9-7. With the D retooled they go 14-2. It's the D people!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              but Brady deserved better than being a distant third.

In your opinion, maybe . I have him 4th in mine (behind Jamal Lewis as well).

Brady had almost the same exact stats last year but the D wasn't as good and they finished 9-7. With the D retooled they go 14-2. It's the D people!
              yeah... it is just that... an opinion. But hmmmm... using your argument, maybe the New England D should have been voted the MVP
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

But hmmmm... using your argument, maybe the New England D should have been voted the MVP

If you can vote for a unit as MVP, then damn straight . Though Baltimore's D may have an argument (as would any playoff team's D that had Anthony Wright at QB ).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Good point
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

using your ****ed reasoning Imran... Indianapolis would have sucked if Manning had a pourous offensive line... or ****ty receivers...
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      Hmmm... that's why the award is handed out before the playoffs... Because the award has NOTHING TO DO WITH playoff records
                      No, but it's odd that he's thrown those same stats year in and year out, but suddenly he's Mr MVP because Dungy put together a decent defense?

I think Lewis should've have gotten it, as any 2000 yd RB should be right at the top, but that's my humble opinion .

No, it is one of the better ways. A player with lights out stats deserves to be at least in consideration for the award. If not, then the award is a farce.
                      Well, the award is already a farce, and Mannings selection proves it. I'll take a Tomlinson or Randy Moss before I take Manning, neither of which appeared to get consideration.
                      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Indianapolis would have sucked if Manning had a pourous offensive line... or ****ty receivers...

Perhaps, perhaps not. Indy's line isn't the greatest out there. Inferior to New England's no doubt.

No, but it's odd that he's thrown those same stats year in and year out, but suddenly he's Mr MVP because Dungy put together a decent defense?

He should have been in MVP consideration for the last few years. This guy is going to be a first-ballot HOFer when all is said and done.

Well, the award is already a farce, and Mannings selection proves it.

It would have been a farce if Manning wasn't close to the top.

Comment

It would have been a farce if Manning wasn't close to the top.
                          I agree... but at the very least Brady, Holmes, J.Lewis, and McNair should all be ahead of him.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay

I think Lewis should've have gotten it, as any 2000 yd RB should be right at the top, but that's my humble opinion .

Well, the award is already a farce, and Mannings selection proves it. I'll take a Tomlinson or Randy Moss before I take Manning, neither of which appeared to get consideration.
                            why so much hate for manning? I dislike him sure. but he's a hugely valuable part to any game the colts win. and have won in years past.

where is the achilles heel?

he's durable, he can score fast or control the clock. he's accurate and intelligent. he has a very high work ethic and is team oriented. he puts up ungodly #'s(read better than neone at the qb position ever). and this year he has lead numerable 4th quarter comebacks.

Comment

and this year he has lead numerable 4th quarter comebacks.
                              why do people think this is a good stat? this just means you sucked for the first 3 quarters and couldn't get it done. 4th quarter comebacks, especially against bad teams, just illustrate an inability to dominate the entire game.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

at the very least Brady, Holmes, J.Lewis, and McNair should all be ahead of him.

That wouldn't be close to the top . I have no problems with McNair and J. Lewis being marginally ahead of Manning (I understand the argument), but NO for Brady and Holmes, who are both incredibly overrated.

why do people think this is a good stat?

It shows he ain't a choke artist.

Comment

Working...
                                X