Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would win? 1942 Germany vs. 2001 France?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would win? 1942 Germany vs. 2001 France?

Who would win in this dream matchup?
    Germany (1942)
    42.55%
    France (2001)
    57.45%
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

France 2001. They know their enemy, they have the tools, and they have the motivation.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Football or open warfare?

(I'll probably have to explain the difference to English fans. )
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Well germany in 1942 already won against france in 1940, so the chances that 2003 france winning in this matchup(which would already be under the boot) are slim to none.

Comment

This assumes the German army from 1942 is meeting the French army of 2001 on neutral territory. The German forces are commanded by Von Manstein. The French forces are commanded by some cool French general dude with a twirly mustache.

Comment

Germany 1942 would probably have a tough time beating even Iraq 2003. The benefits of modern technology cannot be overemphasized.

Comment

hmm, well damn.

The french have a couple of nukes now don't they, guess the french would win in that setup...

Comment

OK... we all love to mock the French...

But get over it! What's a FW-190 supposed to do against a Mirage? And a Panzer 4 J against well... some kind of modern armor? Their only chance would be to paradrop someone and cut Paris from that rubber tile

I think allowing for the banana would have made this poll more... relevant.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot. One of the rules is no nukes.
                  The other rule is no Swedish mercenaries.

Comment

Well, Iraq 2003 does have oil.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      Well, Iraq 2003 does have oil.
                      Its not like anyone would attack for the purpose of grabbing their oil.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                        Germany 1942 would probably have a tough time beating even Iraq 2003. The benefits of modern technology cannot be overemphasized.
                        Hell no. I've seen postwar studies saying that the German Army circa '42 would be able to stomp Iraq. (Iraq had poor training, near total lack of radios, piss poor doctrine). The German Army, by contrast, had a thorough grasp of combined arms, radios in every tank, trained well.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

French have nukes. No contest.
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
                            The German Army, by contrast, had a thorough grasp of combined arms, radios in every tank, trained well.
                            And will still lose. Their tanks will eat it during the sandstorms, they mostly can't have air superiority, and RPGs work against German tanks.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why? You think the Iraqi tanks don't "eat it" during sand storms? You think the Wehrmacht doesn't have more tanks than Iraq has RPGs?
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                              X