Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Salvation Army a hate group organization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they don't hate gays
    CSPA

Comment

I've never received anything from the SA. Does that mean they hate me?

MrFun, I think your bud is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

They run a chain of kick ass second hand clothing stores here. And they find missing persons.

Salvation Army
        CSPA

Comment

discriminatory - yes, hate - no.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            I've never received anything from the SA. Does that mean they hate me?

MrFun, I think your bud is making a mountain out of a molehill.
            Ok, so if the Salvation Army is not homophobic, what other reason is there that they would deny affirmative gays or lesbians needed charity assistance??

And to Imran's example with Hispanics -- what reason other than racism could there be, that they would deny a Hispanic charity assistance because that person is Hispanic?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Ok, so if the Salvation Army is not homophobic, what other reason is there that they would deny affirmative gays or lesbians needed charity assistance??

Cite?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

lets see - they are specifically trying to help out poor straight people, the way some Jewish, muslim, black groups try to focus on their own groups needs?

No, ok they have some DONORS who are homophobic and they accomodate them - the point being that while discriminatory behaviour may, at some level be rooted in hated, it doesnt mean all who practice it are hating.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Hate and discrimination aren't the same thing, even if they are fellow travelers.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And to Imran's example with Hispanics -- what reason other than racism could there be, that they would deny a Hispanic charity assistance because that person is Hispanic?

So how would that make it a hate group?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, I'm drunk (it is New Year's Eve) so I will say something I would not if sober.

It is OK to discriminate.

If you think it isn't, then how do you propose to rewrite the entire history of the human race?
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

lets see - they are specifically trying to help out poor straight people, the way some Jewish, muslim, black groups try to focus on their own groups needs?

No, ok they have some DONORS who are homophobic and they accomodate them - the point being that while discriminatory behaviour may, at some level be rooted in hated, it doesnt mean all who practice it are hating.

It's like calling the NAACP a hate group, because it specifically works for the advancement of 'colored people'.

Comment

*NOT* supporting the Salvation Army is homophobic, ergo, Fun is a closet homophobe.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I walk by their New York headquaters often- interestingly enough, their motto is "Blood and Fire". How cheerful.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Convert...Convert I say...

Well, Ashley has been deleted. Too bad, she may have saved a few souls here at poly from the abyss...
                              Last edited by Berzerker; December 31, 2003, 23:38.

Comment

Berz..are you looking to get banned? I think you better retract that pic soon....
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X