Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Salvation Army a hate group organization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Salvation Army a hate group organization?

I had lunch with another friend of mine today, and he mentioned that he read a news article on gay.com about how the Salvation Army will refuse to give charitable help to anyone who is known to be gay or lesbian.

When is it appropritate to tell others your sexual orientation is a whole separate issue that can be for another separate thread.

My question here is that if the Salvation Army is indeed homophobic, then it's basically a hate organization, isn't it?
    yes -- it's adheres to homophobic ideology that promotes hatred of non-heterosexuals
    28.00%
    no -- it's a Christian-based charity organization but just because they hate gays, doesn't mean it's a hate group organization
    64.00%
    I don't care -- I always slip a banana peel in their red kettle, instead of money.
    8.00%
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

"If" is a highly speculative term to be throwing such accusations about, dontcha think?

Comment

I'll probably answer in a minute, as soon as I finish wrapping my brain around "gay.com"
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Hmm, no, I don't think so.
        They SHOULD get their priorities right, but I don't consider them to be a hate organisation..
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          "If" is a highly speculative term to be throwing such accusations about, dontcha think?
          Well, once I get the FBI on this, we'll find out for sure, either way.

Comment

Generally, it seems the latest controversy has to do with providing health benefits to same-sex partners. First the SA (Western division) said they would, then they said they wouldn't. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1113-06.htm

Comment

Comment

thanks for that article, JohnT

Comment

Unless a group bases it's identity around the denigration of another group of people, it dosen't qualify as a hate group in my book.

Yes, that is a fairly strict interpretation, and I think it should be.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I guess the Salvation Army is more of a hypocritical organization in that they are not following the Christian pratice of extending a helping hand to everyone in need, as Jesus Christ had helped those in need.

So really, the Salvation Army is not faithfully Christian-based in that aspect.

Comment

gay.com is a real site!!1

jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The SA is a cult anyways.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My question here is that if the Salvation Army is indeed homophobic, then it's basically a hate organization, isn't it?

No. Just like if they decided not to give money to hispanics they wouldn't be a 'hate organization'.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran -- ThAT makes no sense to me.

Following your reasoning then, someone who advocates forced segregation based on race, is not really a racist.

To what extent can we be wishy-washy to avoid calling organizations for what they really are?

Comment

Following your reasoning then, someone who advocates forced segregation based on race, is not really a racist.

To what extent can we be wishy-washy to avoid calling organizations for what they really are?

I quote Mad Monk:

Unless a group bases it's identity around the denigration of another group of people, it dosen't qualify as a hate group in my book.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X