achievement gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• achievement gap

From time to time we hear things about how "we need to close the achievement gap" or some such. Has it ever occured to you how twisted an idea that is? Say (numbers are made up) 40% of white people went to college but only 20% of black people did. If the achievement gap is a bad thing, then it would be better for those numbers to go to 40 and 40 than for them to go to 40 and 60! It would also be at least partially good for them to go DOWN to 20 and 20. However, GOD FORBID it go to 20 and 50!

Discuss

huh?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The goal "closing the achievement gap" is nonsensical (or at least has nonsensical implications, which amounts to the same thing).

Comment

are you saying that, in an attempt to 'close the achievement gap' as you call it, colleges are limiting the potential of white students in favour of elevating the potential of Black ones? ie- that white students are being turned down in favour of black ones? so instead of having a 40/20 situation, as in your example, people are creating a 30/30 situation, letting one side fall off while the other is increased? thats what you're saying?
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No, I'm saying that the goal "closing the achievement gap" implies that it would be a good thing to do stuff like that (in fact, it implies that it would be ok to just cut it to 20-20 because, hey, now they're the same).

I'm trying to say that what should be important is helping everyone, not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
            not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

why is that getting a thumbs up?

duh... what the hell are you trying to say skywalker? of course, we shouldn't sacrifice one group achieving in order to have two groups equal rather than having the second group achieve at the level of the first group... and of course, group individuals into categories based on skin colour is stupid and racist. what is your point?

Comment

[Bait]

Most black people are poor.

[/Bait]
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer

duh... what the hell are you trying to say skywalker? of course, we shouldn't sacrifice one group achieving in order to have two groups equal rather than having the second group achieve at the level of the first group... and of course, group individuals into categories based on skin colour is stupid and racist. what is your point?
                  My point is that while the goal or getting rid of the achievement gap seems to promote equality etc., the consequences of it are irrational and harmful.

Comment

[Bait]

Most black people are poor.

[/Bait]
                    [Bite]
                    NO WE ISNT! WHITEY IS PUTTIN' US DOWN!
                    [/Bite]

Comment

I'm trying to say that what should be important is helping everyone, not breaking us down into meaningless categories based on skin color or other superficial things.

but then it would make sense and there would be one less thing to ***** about, and the world being what it is, wont let that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer

As long as we recognize "groups" then we will be fostering differences. I've said it before and I'll say it again: King was right...Judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Why do you think that it would be better if less people overall went to college? Wouldn't society be better off if more people had a college education?
                          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                          George Orwell

Comment

i say if it's ok for there to be hbcs, we should also create bunches of hacs, so we as won't be limited.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by axi
                              Why do you think that it would be better if less people overall went to college? Wouldn't society be better off if more people had a college education?
                              I don't! I think that it's BAD! What I was pointing out was that if we accept the achievement gap as being inherently bad, then we must also accept that a decrease in achievement in whichever group is ahead as inherently good, which is ridiculous. Thus, it is ridiculous to say the achievement gap is inherently bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X