Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that didn't suck, but should have...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that didn't suck, but should have...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, especially the musical episode. Any TV show about vampire-slaying cheerleaders should, by all rights, die a nasty and quick death due to overwhelming suckosity, but this one... damn, it was good. Easily some of the best dramatic writing on TV during its run, and it wasn't afraid to take chances - an episode where 2/3rds of it is silent (everybody loses their voice), the above-mentioned musical, even the fact that there was continuity that ran through all 7 seasons, where things that happened in season 2 would have an impact in season 6... this was one damn good show that shouldn't have been as good as it was.

What have you been pleasantly surprised by?

... and thus JohnT uses his two threads of the day. My work here is done.

Comment

The first Matrix - It was a movie about a guy who is trapped in a computer simulated world with big tentacle like robots running around. Plus it had Keanu Reeves in it. Anyone in their right mind could have panned the concept. Thankfully the film was done as it should have been.

Kelly Holcomb of the Cleveland Browns

Comment

The only thing I can think of right now is the new Battlestar Galactica.

It should have sucked royal (you know what) but it wasn't really that bad. Don't get me wrong though, the new Battlestar Galactica still sucked, but it didn't suck royal..........
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
          The first Matrix - It was a movie about a guy who is trapped in a computer simulated world with big tentacle like robots running around. Plus it had Keanu Reeves in it. Anyone in their right mind could have panned the concept. Thankfully the film was done as it should have been.
          Ever read Neuromancer or any of the Cyberpunk genre books? The Matrix is just a ripoff of it, and in a decidedly non-scientific pulp fiction way. What, using humans as batteries?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well no, but to any normal non-scifi reading guy on the street it might have seen pretty strange.

Comment

Well no, but to any normal non-scifi reading guy on the street it might have seen pretty strange.
              original, even.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

"Pirates of the Caribbean" - Movies based on games and TV shows have sucked royally. There was no reason why a movie based on a RIDE should have been even halfway decent.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Goldeneye for N64... sort of what Imran said. Games made about movies usually suck... but Goldeneye was the greatest console first-person shooter ever (and still is).
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    "Pirates of the Caribbean" - Movies based on games and TV shows have sucked royally. There was no reason why a movie based on a RIDE should have been even halfway decent.
                    hah! i just got done watching that movie, you savvy? i think it was captain jack sparrow that made that movie, though. forget the elf and the wench.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Goldeneye for N64... sort of what Imran said. Games made about movies usually suck... but Goldeneye was the greatest console first-person shooter ever (and still is).
                      Perfect Dark? Same designers, same sort of weapons?

Comment

3... 2... 1 (until Asher shows up and starts yelling at Sava how Halo is better than Goldeneye ).
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Perfect Dark? Same designers, same sort of weapons?
                          nah... perfect dark sucked...

and Halo was okay... ON PC... but X-Box is lame anyways.

Goldeneye is so great because when it came out, there was nothing much else like it for consoles... and PC FPS's didn't have the same multiplayer action because the internet was 56k dominated and quite lame.

But when HALO came out, there were 100 different games like it. And with the internet, PC FPS's dominated because of broadband. Counter-Strike (and maybe now Call of Duty) is my new benchmark. Nothing can top the multiplayer action and sheer fun of Counter-strike. I've got HALO for PC (a pirated version.. I ain't paying for that **** game) and it sucks. Multiplayer is laggy. There aren't any good servers, and the multiplayer experience isn't even as fun as regular half-life.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            nah... perfect dark sucked...
                            Yeah, single player was lame. Damn Elvis and his bulbous head... Though one on one multi allowed for some really nasty firefights.

Comment

Yeah, single player was lame. Damn Elvis and his bulbous head... Though one on one multi allowed for some really nasty firefights.
                              it was Goldeneye with different guns and graphics... c'mon... with all the hype and time spent on that game (1 or 2 years after G:eye, it should have been better).
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X