Sad Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Christmas

Ok, so Dan, my roommate, decided that his Xmas present to Caroline, his girlfriend (and my other roommate) would be an engagement ring.

After shopping around for a while, a friend of his at work put him in touch with a jeweler in North Carolina who has a specialty in platinum rings. He found the perfect ring and placed and order. It cost $4500.

It was due to be delivered via UPS on Saturday. Dan waited all day in the apartment for the package, but it never arrived. The tracking continued to say it was in NY and out for delivery. But it never showed up. UPS said that they were backlogged due to Xmas, so it would be there Monday.

Come this morning, Dan stayed home from work to get the package. By 10 AM it wasn't here, so he called UPS to find it.

Well...they don't know where it is. Despite the supposedly sophisticated UPS tracking system, they can't find his package. They sent a dispatch to all 53 trucks in the area, and none said they have it. They haven't a clue where it is, and can only wait until the trucks all come in tonight to try and find it.

Dan is only insured on it up to $2500. So if they don't find it, he's out $2000 and an Xmas gift for Caroline.

I came home with 2 bottles of wine for Dan. He'd already downed one, and we're almost out. Ohhhhh man oh man...
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

No use crying over spilt milk... at least not until you know it is spilt. I doubt they'll lose it, but it may be late.

If it is late he should try and set up a big dinner for new years and give that to her for Christmas in the form of a "coupon":

On x Date I will take you out for a night of Romance, blah blah blah; along with other small trinkets... Get the ring by then and explain it all to her after the surprise.

Once again I wouldn't worry about the money, the ring will show up, I would worry about what to get her for Christmas, and if I could tie it into the ring or the engagement somehow.

Or, get her a cheapo from Zales or somewhere... Then when the ring shows up tell her that you got her Cubic to serve as a "place holder" until the real one showed up... She'll understand.

Congrats to Dan for deciding to make this big step
      Monkey!!!

Comment

He should have taken the full insurance.

Sucks for him man, really.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Actually, get her a real ugly ring... Something that she would never wear, and propose to her with it

The real gift is the gift of his love, not the ring... and the ring IS on it's way.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

and some wifey of a UPS guy is going to get a nice present.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Are these human interest stories true? I have only been a casual reader so far.

Christmas presents for me has always been a walkover. I can't understand all those people who have so much difficulty with that. And how on earth would anyone ever decide to put a $4500 through the mail? This is incredulous to a simple European.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                and some wifey of a UPS guy is going to get a nice present.
                This is what my dark, cynical heart concluded as well!
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

This is what my dark, cynical heart concluded as well
                  blah!

plan for the best, prepare for the worst

your only ruining Christmas for yourself, don't ruin hers
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher's right dude.

Japher

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

It ain't like what I did for my wives Birthday last year.

I just didn't get her anything.

I had just plunked down 4k for a vacation and my truck was falling apart, so I had no money. She asked me what I got for her right before bed, I said something I probably shouldn't of (and rather disgusting, probably) and really pessed her off; no present and sassy husband...

I still haven't gotten her anything, and that was in March...
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

i personally don't see what's wrong with just drinking lots and lots of good wine...

although to lose something like that... he's prolly never sending anything through ups anymore.
                        B♭3

Comment

Did the jeweler send it?

Why would he have insurance on it and not the dealer? I always have to pay for insurance when I send stuff, not the receiving end...
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            i personally don't see what's wrong with just drinking lots and lots of good wine...
                            That's what we've been doing. WeeeeEEEEeeee!

Dan only insured it for $2500 because he was already going into serious debt for the ring. He's kicking himself, of course, for not doing the whole amount. He just didn't dream that this would happen.

It's sad because he's so upset. And Caroline, not knowing what it is, is getting irked that he's so upset, as she think he's being a baby about it and it's no big deal... oy!
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'm talking about the insurance placed on it by the delivery service. The place he bought from, those who sent it to him, would of insured it for it's delivery. Not him, unless this is a weird jewlerer. Seems to me he shouldn't be out any cash because someone else didn't know how to send the package.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X