Bitter and Twisted I: Liberalism vs Conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter and Twisted I: Liberalism vs Conservatism

This is not a spam fest or a troll fest, so go lure MtG somewhere else .

I am fed up of this constant petty bickering on all levels, up to government between liberals and conservatives. We all want to make the world a better place for heavens sake! We just have different ideas of how to do it! Surely the best solution is a dialectic, rather than a polarisation.

What I mean is this: Conservatives - Stop abusing liberals and respect their opinions. They are not terrorist sympathisers and they are not unpatriotic.

Liberals: Stop winding up conservatives about the foundations for their arguments. They are powerful and emotive for them and it can lead to hurt if you constantly whine on and on about fallacies. They wouldn't be using their arguments if it didn't mean something to them, just because you cannot see it does not mean it is wrong.

Both sides need to make a bigger effort to understand each other.

And yes, I am a liberal.

Discuss.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

I am a liberal, a liberal of the true sort though, none of this trendy New Urban Left bollocks.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I'm having this one...
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Re: Bitter and Twisted I: Liberalism vs Conservatism

Originally posted by Whaleboy

I am fed up of this constant petty bickering on all levels, up to government between liberals and conservatives. We all want to make the world a better place for heavens sake! We just have different ideas of how to do it! Surely the best solution is a dialectic, rather than a polarisation.

What I mean is this: Conservatives - Stop abusing liberals and respect their opinions. They are not terrorist sympathisers and they are not unpatriotic.

Liberals: Stop winding up conservatives about the foundations for their arguments. They are powerful and emotive for them and it can lead to hurt if you constantly whine on and on about fallacies. They wouldn't be using their arguments if it didn't mean something to them, just because you cannot see it does not mean it is wrong.

And yes, I am a liberal.

Discuss.
        You seem slightly biased . I don't recall using emotional arguments in supporting conservativism

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
          I am a liberal, a liberal of the true sort though, none of this trendy New Urban Left bollocks.

And Marx was a right-wing extremist

Comment

This is not a spam fest or a troll fest

Liar.

Comment

You seem slightly biased . I don't recall using emotional arguments in supporting conservativism
              Liberals often disagree. I concur of course... its simply different logic. The dispositions for that logic may well be emotional, but that goes for both sides, and are probably more sociological or psychological. As Nietzsche said, all philosophers have been able to do is communicate their own mental states. Ok he didn't say it in those words, but I'm not the sort of person to quote people correctly.

Comment

Wait... are you saying that I am using emotional logic, despite never referencing to "emotion" (or something similar) in my arguments?

I'm not a tree-hugging Greenpeace member who says "think of all the cute furry animals and the poor, put-upon environment!"

Comment

And yes, I am a liberal.

Discuss.
                  Terrorist!

Why do you hate your country so much? Admit it, you want the Iraqi insurgents to win and for the Iraqis to be enslaved again, because you hate the USA which wants freedom for the Iraqis.
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Wait... are you saying that I am using emotional logic, despite never referencing to "emotion" (or something similar) in my arguments?
                    No I'm not. I'm saying that liberals shouldn't suggest that conservatives are those who run to their flag in admiration and cry when the national anthem is played. I'm saying that liberals should recognise that conservatives have valid arguments. I'm saying that your argument can be entirely logical, but it is your emotional disposition that causes it. To attack your disposition would be an ad hominem. I freely admit that my views have their roots in my personality, as do all of ours, but I expect in a debate people to attack my arguments not my mental condition!

Why do you hate your country so much? Admit it, you want the Iraqi insurgents to win and for the Iraqis to be enslaved again, because you hate the USA which wants freedom for the Iraqis.
                    OMG its like you can read my mind!!!

I'm not a tree-hugging Greenpeace member who says "think of all the cute furry animals and the poor, put-upon environment!"
                    I am. Attack my argument, not me.

Comment

OMG its like you can read my mind!!!
                      That must be fun, with all the big bright illustrations.

Comment

Lucy in the sky..............

Comment

OMFG, stop being such a sissy. If their arguments are wrong, THEY ARE WRONG. This 'can't we all just get together' bull**** has no place here.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

No I'm not. I'm saying that liberals shouldn't suggest that conservatives are those who run to their flag in admiration and cry when the national anthem is played.
                            Why, its true, just because Liberals are all whacko anarchists, don't drag the conservatives into you silly little world.

I'm saying that liberals should recognise that conservatives have valid arguments. I'm saying that your argument can be entirely logical, but it is your emotional disposition that causes it.
                            At least you have seen a glimmer of the light.

I freely admit that my views have their roots in my personality, as do all of ours, but I expect in a debate people to attack my arguments not my mental condition!
                            Be a Liberal qualifies as being a mental condition.

Comment

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they always stink.

That is the diff between libs and repubs, neither can be technically wrong though some can be more wrong than others. Yet, when it's an opinion it becomes a pain to attempt to predict the future and that is generally where arguments arise. I think the two party system does a good job to keep the majority happy on a majority of the issues by this bickering...

Heck, if Sava and I can agree on certain issues than nothing is impossible.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X