The gaming platforms of our lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gaming platforms of our lives

Last night, after 9 years of marriage (and 7 prior years of dating) Laura actually asked me about video games - essentially, "have you played these things your entire life?"

And it struck me - Yeah, I have been playing these things my entire life, a history that would take me back to the birth of the industry. I then started thinking about all the gaming platforms that I've owned and I was kinda stunned - there sure are a lot of them:

Magnavox Odyssey
    Sears Pong
    Atari VCS
    Mattel handheld LED games (big in the late 70's)
    Colecovision
    Adam ( )
    Atari 400
    Atari 800
    Atari 5200
    NES
    SNES (or am I confusing this with the NES? There have been so many Nintendo machines its hard to keep track of them)
    PC - easily my favorite platform of all time.
    Arcade machines: Asteroids, Battlezone, Gravitar, Pac Man and one other I can't remember right now.

Never owned an Intellivision, and I've pretty much missed all the console action of the 1990's because of my PC addiction - Consoles don't play Civ1, MOO, or MoM!

What about y'all?

Originally posted by JohnT
    I've pretty much missed all the console action of the 1990's because of my PC addiction - Consoles don't play Civ1, MOO, or MoM!
    I've missed the console action because I'm too frugal, but for some reason I just absolutely love the Zelda games (which they never bother to port to PC) so it's only a matter of time until I cave in and buy myself a Gamecube.

Consoles are great if you've got a girlfriend or are married -- my mom's never played a computer game in her life (not even solitaire or minesweeper), but even she used to try her hand at Super Mario Brothers back when we owned an NES. Similarly, one of my friend's girlfriends is pretty computer illiterate, but she can still kick my butt at Halo. The problem is that if you get a console to addict Laura to gaming, then Sophie might wind up gravitating to the console rather than the PC, and the world will be short one more PC gamer.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yeah, Sophie already has a few games for the PC. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of three people/one computer, but that's why God invented money I guess.

Comment

I was only born in '88 so I started with an NES. I loved that thing - especially Super Mario 3 I get a Gamegear (STILL the best handheld around), we got a computer, and (much) later we got an N64 and a Gamecube. I still even have the NES

Comment

TRS-80

Atari 2600

PC

NES

Sega Genesis

Now it's strictly the PC

Comment

more computers == good.

B♭3

Comment

The first game ever against a non-human I played 1979. It was a game of chess against a program running on a computer named SM-4, which filled a whole room with several racks, terminals, line printers, magnetic and punched tape+card readers etc, etc. I won that game and was very proud of it, until I realized, what lousy chess players computers were at this time. I wouldn't say this again today.

Later I played text console games like "Star Trek", "Moon landing" and again chess on other business computers. The first halfway graphical game I played in the 80's was "Ladder". It was still in text mode, but already qualified as full flesh jump'n'run.

Then came the time of home computers. I played games on the Atari-800, C-64 and others of this class. In the early 90's I bought a PC, which is still my favorite platform. My son had a Sega Megadrive and I played a couple of games on it too.

Comment

Back in 1976, I remember a trip to the London Science Museum. That kind of set the stage - I loved all the interactive exhibits, especially the "20 questions" computer demo.

I remember my first Space Invaders at a motorway service station, and after that I was hooked.

Owned; VCS, C64, Spectrum, Timex, Amstrad CPC (not a PC - used CPM) before I got a beloved Amiga 1000.

Only had a PC for 2 years!
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Draughts
                  Backgammon
                  Chess
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Atari 2600
                    NES
                    SNES
                    Genesis
                    Nintendo 64
                    Playstation
                    Dreamcast
                    Nintendo Gamecube
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I had an Intelevision; it's what got me into gaming and AD&D... NES and SNES through HS. PC and SNES through college. I now have an X-box and a Gamecube, but my wife usually plays thoughs when I play CIV.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Intelevision
                        Atari 2600
                        Commodore 64
                        Amiga 2000
                        Sega Genesis
                        Nintendo 64
                        Playstation
                        Sega DreamCast
                        And my PC

Wow....that's a lot....

Spec.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

oh yeah, PS, I have 2 of those...
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

My Dreamcast died... I was playing NFL2k... beating the Vikings like 140-0... and in the 4th quarter... last play of the game, Randy ****ing Moss scored like a 90 yard TD. I got so pissed, I threw my controller, but it hit the Dreamcast and killed it.

it was a stupid system anyways.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Atari **** (don't remember which one)
                              Intelevision
                              Nes
                              Gameboy
                              Snes
                              PS
                              PS2
                              Gamecube

Comment