No announcement yet.

What languages do we speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch, English, reasonable Italian and poor German.

Comment

Well, she obviously wasn't in for a ménage à trois then

but,
      Noooooooo, now even the dutch speak french, what is this world coming to...You do know that you just ruined my life savings of prejudices !!!!!
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The Dutch don't speak French, they find it revolting (almost as bad as German). I'm just weird
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I always thought the dutch liked (to speak) french but just couldn't.

Good to see we agree on german though but shhhhh
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Cree would be fun...

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Good to see we agree on german though but shhhhh
              So we Germans are wrong automatically thinking the Dutch would talk to us in German with pleasure whenever we go there?
              www.civforum.de

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Actually historically English has a singular second person : thou-thee-thy-thine. You-ye-your-yours was the plural, and formal formal form, just like in other western european languages.
                In Ireland it is still common to hear people say 'yous two' and indeed my parents and grandparents said it all the time. Although an upper class Irish person wouldn't dream of saying it- except perhaps when having imbibed too much poteen or Guinness.... Can't say I've heard 'yous' in Australia, but then I haven't frequented any Irish pubs here (they always seem to be full of Swedish and German and Dutch backpackers anyway)...

The Dutch and German and Flemish posters will be happy to know at Tocumwal in New South Wales at the Sportavia Gliding Site, Anglo-Dutch-German harmony reigns. Go there any day to hear what sounds like two cats hacking up furballs and it'll be the Dutch and Germans yammering away ten to the dozen, but occasionally forgetting and using Dutch, English and German interchangeably. The world record holder glider pilot Ingo Renner flies from there, and a very peasant place it is too. So if there are any budding glider pilots, do visit Sportavia's website....here endeth the advertisement.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Mazarin
                  So we Germans are wrong automatically thinking the Dutch would talk to us in German with pleasure whenever we go there?
                  Sure, just ask us for directions We'll very gladly point you in the completely wrong direction...

My favourite answer when I'm in Amsterdam: it's at the end of the canal

Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

People sometimes say Yous in America.

Comment

• A reasonable amount of German, and that's about it(And yes, before anyone points it out, I know the name is wrong).
                      "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                      "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

• i can understand it with no trouble at all, which is great, because i love korean movies.
                        the problem is actually talking. i don't have anything beyond the third-grade level or so, mostly because i only speak it around the house.

Ahh, i see.
                        -connorkimbro
                        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Working...
                        X