No announcement yet.

What languages do we speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native: Dutch (which means I also speak flemmish, if you consider this a language).
    Fluent: English
    Get by: German, French, Papiamento (language of the Dutch Antilles and Aruba, where my father is from).
    Know some basic phrases: Polish, Hungarian, Shona (Zimbabwe's main unofficial language).
    "I will not give you a cup of water if you were drowning in the desert!"

Just my favourite CIV-quote. :)

Comment

Flemish is not really an official language. We all speak dutch; the only difference is the accent, and sometimes a different choice of words. That doesn't qualify Flemish as a dialect. For that you need specific differences, like totally different words.
      In my local dialect a car doesn't mean: 'een auto', but 'ne voituur'
      (people who know French will almost understand our dialect )

Btw the dutch accent keeps on going 'platter'
      If you look/liste back to television/radio broadcasts from say 30-40 years ago in Holland you'll notice the accent resembles the Flemish accent a lot more than it does now

Simply listen to Godfried Bomans!
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Q:What the difference between a dialect and a language?

A: A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
        That rules out French
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
          No Klingon?
          Bah! To Shark Bay!

Qa'Pla. Puzh.

Yazhak Ao.

Comment

And why Gaelic - Welsh is the celtic language with the most speakers
            "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

French. Canadian french that is.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Another language I'd like to know is Volapuk.

Comment

Its the world esperanto convention

2 leading thinkers of this movement to create a transnational world language approach each other, to exchange greetings in their shared tongue.

"Nu, vas macht a yid?"
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

French, Hebrew, Portugese, Spanish, Yiddish and a little Hindi (only fluent in Hebrew and you'll be damned if you hear me talking in anything other than English ).
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                      French, Hebrew, Portugese, Spanish, Yiddish and a little Hindi (only fluent in Hebrew and you'll be damned if you hear me talking in anything other than English ).
                      nu. vas macht a yid?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Ancyrean

Sure, but I'm really new to the whole thing, I might not be at your level But yes, it's a fairly easy language, especially after some familiarity with western languages

aku tinggal di Jakarta hanya empat bulan dan aku sudah suka kota ini = [I live in jakarta only for 4 months and I already like this city]
                        Bapak saya dan keluarganya berasal dari Batu Sangkar, di Sumatera Barat.

(My father and his family come from Batu Sangkar in West Sumatra.)
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

If you look/liste back to television/radio broadcasts from say 30-40 years ago in Holland you'll notice the accent resembles the Flemish accent a lot more than it does now

One trend we, well, recently copied from from the dutch and one that annoys me beyond aaaarghh is the 'je' and 'jij' form used in shops or tv and such, instead of the more polite 'U' (for the french: using 'toi' instead of 'vous' .
                          I absolutely can't stand it !!!
                          Van't Hek once did a great piece on this, using Ikea.

Besides, 'jij' is a terrible words, it just doesn't sound right, neither in dutch or flemish. Luckily we have the older but better sounding 'ge' or 'gij' form.
                          (not to be used by dutch people though, please don't 'cause you can't pull it off )
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

huh . . . i wonder who else at apolyton (besides yin26 and I) can speak korean? i know Q Cubed is korean, but i didn't think he knew the language fluently, maybe I was wrong?
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Korean has the world's bestest written language.

Comment

How come the banana language is not a voting option?

You can't just hide it under the "other!"

Such blasphemy!!
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X