What languages do we speak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they're exactly the same language

Bwahh...exactly..??? Nah, not cmpletely.
    It's a lot easier for me to understand your dutch then it is for you to understand my flemish. (not my local dialect)
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
      How come 6 people voted Dutch but only 4 Flemish, they're exactly the same language
      I refuse to see Flemish as a language.

Comment

How could you include an obscure dialect like Flemish and not an obscure language like Welsh!!!
        -Sir T

Comment

As opposed to dutch??
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Common, Gnome, Orc and Hobgobelin...err, I mean English, French, Dutch and German.
            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Fluent :English
              Get by :Hindi (read and write and hold basic conversation)
              Basic : Urdu, Gujarati,Punjabi, Greek, French, Spanish (know some phrases/read text).

Urdu,Gujarati and Punjabi are all very similar to Hindi anyway, hence the basic knowledge.

I can read greek (from childhood interest in Astronomy), and so have self taught myself some basics when I visited a few years back.
              "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Dry
                Common, Gnome, Orc and Hobgobelin...err, I mean English, French, Dutch and German.
                Aaah, you're the one Brussels dude that speaks dutch..

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Aaah, you're the one Brussels dude that speaks dutch..
                  No, I'm the other one Brussels dude that speaks dutch.
                  The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                    Fluent :English
                    Get by :Hindi (read and write and hold basic conversation)
                    Basic : Urdu, Gujarati,Punjabi, Greek, French, Spanish (know some phrases/read text).

Urdu,Gujarati and Punjabi are all very similar to Hindi anyway, hence the basic knowledge.

I can read greek (from childhood interest in Astronomy), and so have self taught myself some basics when I visited a few years back.

Like your classifications.

Fluent: English
                    Get by: French, Hebrew
                    Basic: Yiddish
                    Basic minus: German, Spanish, Latin
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

Q:What the difference between a dialect and a language?

A: A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The ones taught to me by the Finnish primary and secondary schools ergo Finnish (as mother tongue), Swedish (as quasi- mother tongue), English and German. I'm attempting to start learning Russian next year.
                        Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Re: What languages do we speak?

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                          If you can read a book in the language, you can count it.
                          Do children's books count?
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

No Klingon?
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

iK paQ' Wej kodoS!

(i have no idea what that means, but it looks klingon enough for me.)
                              B♭3

Comment

I checked off French, but I'm barely competent in it. I was able to order tickets to a play from a lady at the ticket counter who only spoke French, and that was my finest hour.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X