Labor Rights in Iraq Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor Rights in Iraq Redux

An interesting article on labor and privatization in Iraq: http://www.corpwatch.org/issues/PID.jsp?articleid=9408

Most interesting snippets:

Iraqi workers look at the prospect of privatization with dread. Dathar Al-Kashab, manager of Baghdad's Al Daura oil refinery, predicted that privatization would have an enormous effect. "A worker starting here today has a job for life, under the old system," he explains, "and there's no law which permits me to lay him off. But if I put on the hat of privatization, I'll have to fire 1500 [of the refinery's 3000] workers. In America when a company lays people off, there's unemployment insurance, and they won't die from hunger. If I dismiss employees now, I'm killing them and their families.
    In 1987, Saddam had another unpleasant surprise for Iraqi workers. He issued a law declaring that the class struggle was over. Workers in state-owned enterprises were no longer to be considered workers at all, but civil servants. As such, Saddam said, they had no right to organize unions or bargain. On the Umm Qasr docks and in factories and refineries throughout the country, unions were effectively banned.

Anti-Union Law Upheld by Occupation

Today that 1987 law is still being enforced by the US occupation authority. The law affects workers employed in the enterprises set to be privatized, and that is why it hasn't been repealed as hundreds of other Saddam-era laws have been. If those workers have no legal union, no right to bargain, and no contracts, then privatization and the huge job losses that will come with it, will face much less organized resistance.

On June 5 CPA head Paul Bremer put another weapon into the anti-union arsenal. He issued a decree called Public Notice Number One, prohibiting "pronouncements and material that incite civil disorder, rioting or damage to property." The phrase can easily be interpreted to mean strikes or other organized labor protest. Those who violate the decree "will be subject to immediate detention by Coalition security forces and held as a security internee under the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949" - in other words, as a prisoner of war.

US occupation forces in Iraq escalated their efforts to paralyze Iraq's new labor unions on December 6, when soldiers arrested eight members of [an umbrella labor group's, the Workers Democratic Trade Union Federation's,] executive board, and took them into detention. Although the eight were released the following day, there was no explanation from the Coalition Provisional Authority.
    As some of y'all might remember, a couple months ago I posted an article about leaders and members of the Union of the Unemployed being detained. Looks like the practice is continuing.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Obviously Ramo unions are a baathist plot against the occupation!

Obviously this is a travesty: and sadly you are the only one that seems to care. Don't expect much from this group.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Iraqi workers look at the prospect of privatization with dread. Dathar Al-Kashab, manager of Baghdad's Al Daura oil refinery, predicted that privatization would have an enormous effect. "A worker starting here today has a job for life, under the old system," he explains, "and there's no law which permits me to lay him off. But if I put on the hat of privatization, I'll have to fire 1500 [of the refinery's 3000] workers.

My god... you mean they'd have to get efficient... *gasp*

Don't expect much from this group.

Nope. Get everything nice and safe first and then worry about allowing unions to organize. That's all that is needed, a few paralyzing strikes while we are attempting to build the country up.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, I probably should've included some article about a pro-American demonstration in Iraq in the post. Or another picture of a disheveled Saddam.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

i care and the saddam law should be repealed. I presume the Iraqi Communist Party, among others is taking the lead.

but this "On June 5 CPA head Paul Bremer put another weapon into the anti-union arsenal. He issued a decree called Public Notice Number One, prohibiting "pronouncements and material that incite civil disorder, rioting or damage to property." The phrase can easily be interpreted to mean strikes or other organized labor protest." is twisting something out of context - it sounds more like a measure against sabotage, and as such is quite reasonable. If its being abused Id like to hear about it. Your source provides no evidence that it is.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Nope. Get everything nice and safe first and then worry about allowing unions to organize. That's all that is needed, a few paralyzing strikes while we are attempting to build the country up.
            How is creating an army of the unemployed making things safe? It would be better to allow them to strike (I think it's unlikely that they would), than to fire them.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

My god... you mean they'd have to get efficient... *gasp*
              With unemployment at over 50% in much of the country, efficiency isn't quite as important as employment. It's either that or starvation.

Nope. Get everything nice and safe first and then worry about allowing unions to organize.
              While people starve en masse. Yeah, that's the ticket.

That's all that is needed, a few paralyzing strikes while we are attempting to build the country up.
              Unions are an important part of civil society, particularly in a developing one. Worker organization (or the lack thereof) will be what says whether Iraq's going to degenerate into a civil war. They need something to give people - whether Sunni or Shia, whether Arab or Kurdish - a stake in the country and food in their families' mouths.
              -Bokonon

Comment

How is creating an army of the unemployed making things safe?

You do it for a short period in order to make the country's businesses solvent. Should the businesses suck at the teat of the government and continue being incredibly inefficient just so we can give them jobs. Blah... and I thought you were against corporate welfare.

With unemployment at over 50% in much of the country, efficiency isn't quite as important as employment. It's either that or starvation.

So the businesses can loose money hand over fist and then whole plants will have to close? Yeah, that makes things better.

While people starve en masse. Yeah, that's the ticket.

You'd have to think I care.

Worker organization (or the lack thereof) will be what says whether Iraq's going to degenerate into a civil war.

Yeah, more worker organization will lead to civil war as the country is paralyzed by strikes. At this point in time it doesn't need that.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

but this "On June 5 CPA head Paul Bremer put another weapon into the anti-union arsenal. He issued a decree called Public Notice Number One, prohibiting "pronouncements and material that incite civil disorder, rioting or damage to property." The phrase can easily be interpreted to mean strikes or other organized labor protest." is twisting something out of context - it sounds more like a measure against sabotage, and as such is quite reasonable. If its being abused Id like to hear about it. Your source provides no evidence that it is.
                  How do you think these sorts of laws usually work? They generally don't say "calling for strikes is illegal." Even we have a much more intricate anti-striking law with Taft-Hartley - using court injunctions and whatnot.

The proclamation was intended to tie into attacking worker organization:
                  Again, the ghost of the 1987 anti-Union Ba’athist law which exterminated workers, turning them all into ‘civil servants state employees, persists unchanged. Communiques on management pinboards remind workers that the CPA (Under their Public Notice on Organisation in the Workplace issued June 6 which states that the ‘CPA respects Iraqi Law’, especially worker repressing Ba’athist regime law, and has therefore not changed any laws regarding labour legislation.
                  Last edited by Ramo; December 17, 2003, 18:21.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

So the businesses can loose money hand over fist and then whole plants will have to close? Yeah, that makes things better.
                    They were still running after we took 'em over from Saddam.

You'd have to think I care.
                    I didn't know you had fascist tendencies.

Yeah, more worker organization will lead to civil war as the country is paralyzed by strikes. At this point in time it doesn't need that.
                    That's absurd. The people are paralyzed by unemployement at the moment.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

The country's businesses were solvent until the war and embargo. The Iraqis need a general strike against privatisation.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

They need a general strike for a lot of things - democracy, a more just contracting process, etc.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

How is creating an army of the unemployed making things safe?

You do it for a short period in order to make the country's businesses solvent.
                          You said it was suppose to make things safe. That's what I commented on.
                          Should the businesses suck at the teat of the government and continue being incredibly inefficient just so we can give them jobs.
                          The primary goal should be employment. Any policy that is in conflict with that goal will have negative consequences with order in Iraq.
                          Blah... and I thought you were against corporate welfare.
                          Of course I'm against it when it's a simple form of corruption, but not when the end is employment in an economy in desperate need of it.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

For democracy, I'd like to see the head Ayatollah simply tell his followers to refuse to cooperate with the provisional government plan. If 80% of the country refuses to send delegates, there is no way it could possibly function.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

efficiency? what's efficient about corporate CEO's stealing millions from investors, getting golden parachutes for driving a company into financial ruin, gutting a workforce which erodes consumer base...

things are getting worse... I read today that there is a draft ready for a Central American Free Trade zone.... WHOOPY Multinational corporations win! everyone else loses.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X