Fort Hungry-Lizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Hungry-Lizard

For the last two weeks I've been living at Fort Hunter Ligget, CA; which for those of you who don't know is in the middle of ****ing NO WHERE!!!. We are talking about hours of driving until I can reach anything close to resembling civilization.

The base used to be an active duty Armor post but in the 1980's it got turned into an Army Reserve base while nearby Fort Ord got closed down. The whole post consists of a few barracks, a PX (which is open 10am-4pm Monday through Friday), a chow hall, a post office (open 3 day per week), a bowling alley (closed most of the time), a few administration buildings, and a bar/restaurant which is the posts one redeeming feature. Other then that it's just mile after mile of hills, streams, and oak trees.

Under other circumstances I think I'd like to camp here but working 15 hours+ per day seven days a week just takes the fun out of everything. Luckily, we're starting a new training exercise and I'm going to be working the night shift so I can at least post on poly during the day.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The closest things to FHL is Camp Roberts (0.5 hours drive away), which is a national guard post and the only base more pathetic then FHL, or a place called King City (o.75 hours drive away), CA which as far as I can tell is a virtual colony of illegal Mexican farm workers. King City consists of a few fast food joints, a couple of gas stations, and a number of Mexican dive restaurants. King City doesn't even have a bar much less a night club.

Pitty me people.

Comment

they closed the base I was born on.

Im going to go sit in my room curled in a fetal position with my baby blanket now...

Comment

you're the one who signed up for the military. in a sense... it's your own damn fault.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

King City has a good Carl's Jr. I go through there on my way to San Louis Obispo

My Brother-in-Law is stationed out of Fort Roberts, which I also have to pass on the way to SLO... Yup, waste lands... Sucks, sorry man...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Luckily I'll be leaving in another week to go home for Christmas. However, after that I'll be going to Fort Bragg, NC which simply must be the anus of our nation.

Comment

Would they Bragg about the anus?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

sphincter. i think that was the word you were looking for oerdin.

edit: damn tags.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  My Brother-in-Law is stationed out of Fort Roberts, which I also have to pass on the way to SLO... Yup, waste lands... Sucks, sorry man...
                  I was out at Camp Bob yesterday to do convoy training. The purpose is to teach everyone how to react if your convoy is ambushed. It was good training.

Still Camp Bob is as old and run down as can be imagined. The state of California has really dropped the ball on maintaince since they took over the post from the Federal Government.

Comment

I think you, Oerdin, are going to be replacing him, my B-law. He's reserves and hauls tanks for the 101st... is that what you'll be doing?
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Nope, I'm doing predeployment training before heading out to Iraq. My domestic point of departure is Fort Bragg then it's on the C-141. If I'm lucky I might get a brief lay over in the UK or Germany before landing in Kuwait.

Comment

Thats the problem with the Army, all your bases are in the middle of nowhere so you can play in the dirt and mud and go on all those nature hikes

Then again, now that I think about it, I spend months at a time on a bobing cork miles from the shore with a few hundred guys...... damn, what the hell was I thinking?

-Pat
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Then again, now that I think about it, I spend months at a time on a bobing cork miles from the shore with a few hundred guys...... damn, what the hell was I thinking?
                          Now I know the navy is gay
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Fort Hungry-Lizard

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            For the last two weeks I've been living at Fort Hunter Ligget, CA; which for those of you who don't know is in the middle of ****ing NO WHERE!!!. We are talking about hours of driving until I can reach anything close to resembling civilization.
                            I spent 3 months straight there in '85 testing the Sgt York A.D.A. system. After two months, the cows were looking mighty fine , let me tell you!
                            There are some beautiful sunsets (and sunrises) to be seen on Bald Mountain and Alpha Site, but other than that, there's nothing there, except lots of alcohol.....

D

Comment

Kings Bay Georgia is about the worst the Navy gets for bases. It is about an hour from Savannah, Macon, or Jacksonville. The base is Okay, but there is little around it. Which I guess makes sense bieng we store nuclear missles and fleet battlistic missile boats there. But I am not a submariner so I don't have to worry about that.

The Airfarce has some pretty horrendous locations, since they need room to crash without killing things. And, you know, communing with aliens.

-Pat
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X