X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

democracy with meritocracy is da best

Comment

LIBERAL democracy.

Democracy without respect for human rights is humbug.

The main question in constitutional liberal democracies is who gets to intrepret, make, and change the constitution? Why and how?
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

A Vertocracy is the way to go.

Comment

Democracy.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I assume we speak of American democracy, where I can say with confidence tha it has completly failed.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

This question hinges quite heavily on how you define success or failure. To date, I would say democracy in the United States has had many great successes; we have been largely successful in peacefully transfering power from one political party to another and we have succeeded in remaining a sovereign nation. Democracy in the United States also has many great failings; it has failed to solve many social issues effectively, or even adequately, and we have yet to strike that vital balance between freedom and security.

Around the world, democracy has certainly done more for the people than any other form of government yet attempted, and, I think, will continue to do so. In the end, however, a democracy will have the same failings and virtues as it's participants; it will never be any better, or any worse.
              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'd say democracy is a success, as it is the only logically justifiable system of government

Where democracy has failed, it has failed less than any other system would.

Comment

i think democracy is OK, as long as you've got a rational populace.

And i mean rational by MY definition of rational.
                  -connorkimbro
                  "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I am surprised that nobody asked this question: what is democracy?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I would have to go with the general feeling here and say that Democracy is the best damn failure we've ever had.

Of course, 'in theory', a Philosopher-King Monarchy would be 'the best', but that could really only happen in a world without corruption. HA!
                      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

In MY theory, a connorkimbrocracy is the best form of government.

BOW DOWN TO ME!
                        -connorkimbro
                        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Democracy (in the current form) I'm, all for a technocracy, or failing that, a democracy where the term is a lot longer than 4 years. Democracy leads to a situation where nobody can look past or plan past the next election, since all they care about is getting re-elected. Also, with the population voting while most of them do not understand the issues, voting on a whim, I don't think you will get a better leader elected than if you were to appoint one. I'd like it if we either had an elected group of people who do not rule the country, but appoint those who do. Or even an unelected group to do that. While a democracy is better than a police state, or a tyrant, I would prefer a good ruler who was concerned with doing the right thing in the long term, than a good ruler who was concerned with what the people would thing in 4 years time.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

oh good lord, now we've got someone arguing for 'enlightend' despotism
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
                              Of course, 'in theory', a Philosopher-King Monarchy would be 'the best', but that could really only happen in a world without corruption.
                              Very true
                              Smile
                              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Nothing like a stupid question/poll to start the week off right.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X