Earth's magnetic field collapsing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth's magnetic field collapsing!

The Earth's magnetic field has fallen 10% since 1845. It could vanish and then reverse itself. But during the interim, the Earth would be exposed to deadly radiation. This could be a lot worse than global warming.

Also, note that the reduction begain aroung 1845. This coincides with the end of the little ice age. Is there a cause and effect relationship?

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

I saw the Core, we have nothing to worry about until the birds start attacking!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

What's even scarier, just a couple of hours ago the Sun disappeared completely! I mean it literally vanished, and now it's pitch dark outside. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Comment

Hey, that happened here aswell , that cannot be a coincedence, can it?!?!?!?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The sun is up here, so don't worry... Though it is a little hazy, couldn't be the fog though, could it?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Sun's still working on my side of the planet. You Euros just can't get anything right, I guess.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

it must be bush's fault. and when the field reverses, maybe then unfair taxes will be profits.
              B♭3

Comment

NOOO!! The birds are attacking!! Must take cover fast!!

AAARrrgggg......

Sp....
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                  Sun's still working on my side of the planet. You Euros just can't get anything right, I guess.
                  Yeah, but who turned off the heat?
                  What?

Comment

"Yeah, but who turned off the heat?"

Probably the same guy who stole the moon...
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

My compass will work correctly again then... Unless they decide to swap the names North and South along with the polarity.
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        I saw the Core, we have nothing to worry about until the birds start attacking!
                        HACK THE PLANET

Comment

I am probably the only one to do a serious answer to this question:

All research indicates that a reversing of Earth's magnetic field is indeed imminent. What scientists cannot agree upon is how long this will take. Some scientists believe that it can take place inside 1 or 2 years, others that it is a lengthier process.

But none of the research that I have seen on this subject indicates that the magnetic field should diminish a part of this process.

But who knows??

The magnetic field is created a a result of a layer of molten lava turning around a solid iron core, so unless you want to go down there and take measurements, your guess is as good as mine

Asmodean
                          Last edited by Asmodean; December 12, 2003, 18:24.
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

At that rate of decline, the field could vanish altogether in 1,500 to 2,000 years, said Jeremy Bloxham of Harvard University.

The Y4K problem.

Comment

Are you blaming Bill Gates?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X