Whaleboys kitchen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    You can't call salad 'cookery', it's just throwing some vegetables in a dish and throwing them around a bit

My steak and chips is something to be worshipped though
    The chicken is cooked, damnit!

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Errr, Fanman, you boil the water FIRST, then you add the pasta!

-Arrian
      Sorry -- I misread Japher's post. I have always cooked pasta by boiling the water first, then putting the pasta in.

But I read his post as saying that THIS was wrong.

But I guess this wouldn't be the first time I have misread someone's post, huh?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I figured. It HAD to be. I actually didn't think you were that stupid

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

that is how I cook my pasta. What's the better way?
          Bring the water to a boil first... Doing it the way I said will make the pasta mushy. I bring the water to a rapid boil, add salt, bring to a boil again (as the salt will sometimes stop the boiling), then add the past.

I make the chicken salad. I bread the chicken (dredge in flour, then egg, then crumbs; the flour first will help the egg and crumbs stick petter) then fry it in about 1 inch of oil (a 350 degrees) for about 10 minutes, let it cool... Not much doing, but I would call it cookery because I have had some awful salads before.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh, Oh,
            my favourite

Ingredients:
            - 200 g can of coconut milk
            - yasmin/basmati rice
            - 1/2 cucumber, 1 red pepper, 2 carrots
            - 100 g sliced water chestnuts
            - loads of spices (curry, cumin, chili, sugar)
            - some soy sauce and oil

Preparation:
            1. Chop the veggies and start cooking the rice
            2. Stir&fry the veggies, spices and soy-sauce in oil
            3. Add coconut milk on top of the veggies and let it simmer a bit
            4. EAT!
            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I like that aago, quick, easy, and sounds great.

Arrian: When I make beef stew in a crock pot I always flour the meat first, but don't cook it... The flour keeps the meat tender and thickens, and you don't have to worry about the sticking (i did the samething), I now coat the pot with oil, brown the meat, remove the meat, then wipe down the pot with a paper towel before continuing... don't want oily stew.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Bring the water to a boil first... Doing it the way I said will make the pasta mushy. I bring the water to a rapid boil, add salt, bring to a boil again (as the salt will sometimes stop the boiling), then add the past.

Add some oil too, NOT so that it doesn't stick (=myth) but you will be able to get the water hotter (and there is less evapiration(<-that's not a word, is it? ))
                Then at the end, let the pasta rest a minute in the water while it isn't boiling anymore, to let it swell.,
                Oh, and use enough water !!! 1. This will prevent the pasta from sticking and 2. if you don't, chances are you will have a flowery taste, which isn't good.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I use to add oil, don't any more. Don't know why I stopped, just got lazy I guess.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    I use a splatter screen instead of lids for this
                    Great minds think alike! I too use a splatter screen (keeps the mess to a minimim).

That's a lot of spice. Yet, looking through my spice wrack I actually have them all! Would you suggest just making a whole lot of this at once and labling it "Wittlich Seasoning"?
                    You could, but you might be hard-pressed to get the same ratios of spices from a large batch of spices...

Also, what about smoking the spices, heating them up in a dry pan before adding them to the sauce. I do this with a lot of dry spices and really brings out their flavor. Have you tried this?
                    Actually, I've never tried this. I guessing that it would work (and add a smokey flavor to the sauce), just be carefull not to burn the spices (which is quite easy to do)...unless you like the burnt flavor in the sauce!

Oh, and speaking of burnt flavor - one final note, if by chance your sauce is sticking to the bottom of the pot, do NOT stir it or try to scrape it off of the bottom! Immediately pour the entire sauce into another pot and continue simmering from there. Do not scrape the "goodies" from the bottom of the first pot or your sauce will end up with the burnt flavor.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

It's Chex Mix season once again. Don't follow the crap recipe on the cereal box though; they gutted the original and added crap. So here's my version:

8 cups Chex cereal (equal parts Wheat Chex, Corn Chex and Rice Chex)
                      10 oz. of peanuts
                      1 1/2 cups pretzels (I prefer pretzel sticks, broken in half)
                      One stick of butter
                      about 4 or 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
                      a couple teaspoons of Seasoned Salt
                      a couple dashes of garlic powder

Heat the oven to 250. Melt the stick of butter in a 9x11 baking dish. Add the Worcestershire/Salt/garlic and mix it up. Then stir in the peanuts, then the pretzels and finally add the Chex cereal and stir to coat.

Heat 15 minutes in the 250 oven, stir. Repeat four times (total cooking time = one hour). Spread the finished mix out to dry on some paper towels.

Make gin martini, really dry, and consume with Chex mix. Yum.
                      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I really like the final step in your Chex Mix recipe Stuie!
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Oh, another simple recipe, that I hope to use in about 3 hrs:

Buy beer.
                          Open bottle.
                          Drink.

Ahh.

-Arrian

Comment

Steak

In a plastic bag combine contents of one bottle of beer with 12 oz. stake. Let sit for three hours.

Throw on hot grill with some salt and pepper, cook.

Eat.

The beer really helps keep it moist, and shortens the cooking time.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I make the chicken salad. I bread the chicken (dredge in flour, then egg, then crumbs; the flour first will help the egg and crumbs stick petter) then fry it in about 1 inch of oil (a 350 degrees) for about 10 minutes, let it cool... Not much doing, but I would call it cookery because I have had some awful salads before.
                              Thanks, but as you can see from my earlier post, I just misread your post.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

np...
                                Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X