Greece court convicts November 17 mastermind, 14 others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece court convicts November 17 mastermind, 14 others

FIFTEEN members of a Greek terrorist organisation thought to be responsible for the deaths of 23 people - including a British defence attache - were today convicted of killings and attacks spanning decades.

The rulings – following a nine month trial – were seen as a boost for Greece’s terrorist-fighting image before the Olympics next year.

November 17’s killings began in 1975 when a CIA station chief was ambushed returning home from a Christmas party.

Since then, American envoys, two Turkish diplomats and prominent Greek political and business figures have been killed.

November 17’s last victim was British defence attache Brig Stephen Saunders, killed in June 2000.

In the past, Greece was accused of lacking the political will to attack domestic terror groups led by November 17 - named after the day in 1973 when Greece’s military rulers crushed a student protest.

The three judge panel - working under Greece’s new anti-terrorism laws - issued blanket convictions against Alexandros Giotopoulos, 59, as the leader of the group.

Among the other 14 men convicted were several key figures including the main assassin, 45-year-old Dimitris Koufodinas, who is linked to most of the group’s slayings and was known by the code name "poison hand."

The entire group sat stone-faced as the head judge took more than 90 minutes to read the verdicts from the hundreds of charges that included bank robberies and bombings.

Sentencing is expected on Wednesday. Many of those found guilty face multiple life sentences.

Particularly interesting part, my bold..

November 17’s beliefs were based on a mix of hard-line Marxism, Greek nationalism and opposition to the power of America and its main allies.

To you Paktis and other supporters of terrorism, my condolences.

Thank you

Comment

So, who is gonna get rid of "bad people" in Greece now?

Comment

That's a problem.

Comment

BBC wording, not mine

"People started to see the craziness of terrorism for the first time," said Yiorgios Momferatos, whose father was killed by the group in 1985.

"Until then a substantial part of the population just felt N17 was getting rid of 'bad' people".

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

And todays story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3301923.stm

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
            That's a problem.
            Well, the way I see it... moral decay (as demonstrated by the popular support for terrorism) is a real problem in Greece.

Hopefully, the influx of morally firm Albanian immigrants should fix that.

Comment

We can only hope.

Comment

Hmm.

Comment

Sorry I have to go polish my rockets now.

Comment

So, I seem to have cought you in a sincere moment. I know it must be hard to lose one's childhood idols... so I will not trouble you too much in this time while you are hurt and sensitive.

But I have one question if you please.

How do you explain the killer-combo of Nationalism + Marxism?

I mean for crying out loud - weird!

Comment

yes, Michael Jackson and 17 November..

Yes it is weird but we were always a nation of innovation!

Comment

Michael Jackson?

Paiktis I respect you as an individual and I tremble at the thought of what Greek kids in the next generation will be without such role models

Will the enlightened leadership of Ortodox church suffice...?

Comment

The Archbishop is worse than 17 November!

Comment

What, is he a Stalinist or something? I presume he is a nationalist as it must be requirement for the position

Comment

BTW I reccomend this book to anyone interested. Kick ass spot on even before they were captured.

Comment

Working...
                              X