Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day 62 years ago...

Well we all know what happened.

I just want to post some random thoughts. I won't make a silly poll this time around about the attack being justified or not. It really doesn't matter, it's all history anyways. Obviously they felt it was justified at the time.

I want to use this thread to honour all of those involved- on both sides. The japanese were called cowardly for their surprise attack. But I feel otherwise. It was a legitimate military target, it's not like they were targeting unarmed civilians. The U.S. probably should have been more prepared. There was a world war going on, and they did recently put an embargo on Japan I believe. It was a fantastic attack.

A few months ago I read some shipboard logs of the account. Truelly fascinating- esp. for someone who has served in the navy and knows about logs. I would like to find some more logs and accounts of the attack. It has always fascinated me. I sometimes wondered what would happen if my ship was attacked while I was on watch. Well it wouldn't be pretty. The U.S. navy is very unprepared for such an attack. Basically ships in port are sitting ducks. Even moreso today. Many people live off the ship- myself included much of the time I was stationed onboard. Back in 1941 most sailors lived on board the ship and were able to man the guns and get the steam plants up and get some ships underway!. I'm most interested in steam plant operation as that was my job. And I was always amazed at the ships that got underway. Because I knew on my ship our engineering duty section consistied of maybe one or two fireroom and one or two steam room personnel at most. I can't imagine the CIC (command information center) would have a well stocked duty section. The CIC, I believe, is where all the guns are controlled. They may be able to get the guns active without someone actually at the station. And don't get me started on nuclear powered ships. Sure in an emergency you can exceed heat-up rates on a nuclear reactor. But it is still going to take some time to get those plants up- depending on how they are layed up. If the plants are in hot standby, then you can get one plant up fairly fast.

As long as I'm alive, this anniversery will never go forgotten.

just some of those involved

Last edited by Dis; December 7, 2003, 04:54.

yes, it is a shame that so many had to be lost on all sides, military and civilian, in that war. The attack was fantastic, and a brilliant maneuever, but they didn't finish the job.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

no they didn't- good for us on the american side

Comment

Amazing lack of interest.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Sixty-two years is two generations ago. Why do you expect more people to care? Does anyone give a **** today about the WWI?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Sixty-two years is two generations ago. Why do you expect more people to care? Does anyone give a **** today about the WWI?
            Well I do. I wouldn't have been born, if it weren't for WW1. My reat grandfather met my greatgrandmother because of that war. So don't you diss my war, OK

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I do. The literature makes up 40% of my english A-level
              Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

I expect you, and other intelligent people to care.

Especially given the paralellels people do go into between Pearl Harbor and 9-11.

Comment

There aren't very many. Pearl Harbor was intended to cripple the American navy so that the Japanese would have time to take over the southwest Pacific and sue for peace. 9-11 was intended to instill fear.

Comment

What's the parallel? Civilians != battleships.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Both were sneak attacks that led America into war.
                      Both were used by the administrations of the time to create a favorable view of foreign military engagements in the American people.
                      The presidents of the time have both been accused of having prior knowledge of the attacks, and allowing them to happen.
                      Foreknowedge or not, both presidents used the events to take actions and push through policies that never could have passed otherwise, justified or not.

Comment

That's just off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                          I expect you, and other intelligent people to care.
                          Sixty-two years is a long, long time. In sixty-two years, I won't be all that upset if my grand children don't care so much. Hopefully the War on Terrorism will be over by then.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Both were sneak attacks that led America into war.
                            Both were used by the administrations of the time to create a favorable view of foreign military engagements in the American people.
                            The presidents of the time have both been accused of having prior knowledge of the attacks, and allowing them to happen.
                            Foreknowedge or not, both presidents used the events to take actions and push through policies that never could have passed otherwise, justified or not.

America's response was somewhat similar, yes. However, the response was also very different, and the actions of the OTHER SIDE are COMPLETELY different. In 1941, we had to rebuild our navy and prepare for a conventional war. After 9-11, we didn't have to rebuild our military at all, and we almost immediately engaged in what was largely not a conventional war.

Comment

In WWII, Republicans could attack the President without being called traitors. Today, Democrats who attack the President are called traitors or worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X