A very weird computer problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very weird computer problem.

I have a CD rewritable unit on my PC (installed with the help of you good people) but lately this strange thing happens.

When I press the button to open the CD/RW all it does is a bang, I hear something like a thread moving and that's it. It doesn't open. I can keep pressing the button for all eternity it won't open. The only scientific approach is to take a thin papercutter and push it on the side. Then sometime in the 30th press of the button it might open.

However, each and everytime there's a CD in it and I click on the InCD icon to open it or I have a audio CD and I click on the "eject" button of media player it always opens.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

At first I thought it might be that the "rope" inside it is cut or that it might bang the front on some corner and gets stuck. But if either of those were the case, then it wouldn't open each and everytime there's a CD in it and I simply click on InCD or the media player eject button.

Can it be a power supply problem with the hardware (real) button which is ON the CD/RW?

you want me to bump this, or will you?

Comment

It was too soon it wasn't off the page but thanks

Comment

again?

Comment

thanks you're too kind

Comment

Your problem sounds mechanical. Isn't your CD/RW covered by a guarantee?
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

Isn't that Karaiskakis with an electric guitar?
              George Orwell

Comment

Yes he is

I dont know about the guarantee. It sounds too much trouble dismounting it and then get it there not having it fixed and then reinstalling it, if i'm going to take it out i might as well buy another one. its a dirt cheap one.

Comment

from plaisio 36.000 drachmas. it is at least 1,5 years old IIRC. doesnt even say which brand it is on the front.i think the guarantees for that stuff usually lasts 1 year? the problem started just a couple of weeks ago

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; December 6, 2003, 21:06.

Comment

My new TEAC 52x CD/R just cost me 50 Euro, from Plaisio. And it's much better than my 1,5 year old Plextor 40x CD-R that cost 150 Euro.
                    George Orwell

Comment

only 50? the prices have fallen a lot then
                      anyway if this is so and the papercutter approach doesnt work anymore or i get fed up i might go get one as well. thanks for telling me

Comment

If your papercutter approach won't work anymore, why don't you try a crowbar? (koinws lostari?)
                        George Orwell

Comment

den xwraei

to antikeimeno prepei na einai lepto (kai an8ektiko)

kopidi einai kai kapoia stigmi 8a mou spasei..

Comment

To lostari einai gia na spaseis to drive gia na pareis pisw to CD sou...
                            George Orwell

Comment

otan exo meso to CD PANTA anoigei, auto einai to gamoto tis istorias...! ara den prepei na exei kanena sobaro mixaniko provlima. kai malista anoigei apo software entoli teleios (alla mono me to CD mesa)

Comment

Working...
                              X