No announcement yet.

Holy moly what a Merlot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go that nutty over a merlot, I can't wait to see you try good cabernets, shirazes and pinot noirs.

On T-day, we had a case of a superb Beaujolais. I'm not usually a Beaujolais fan, but this one was quite good.

As a very rough guide, the best wines for the buck are usually in the $20-40/bottle category. You can find good wines cheaper, but it's more difficult. Anything over $50 may be excellent, but not really worth the cost.

If you have a good wine store nearby (not just a liquour store), the clerks will usually be pretty knowledgeable and can help select good wines based on price.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Holy moly what a Merlot!

Originally posted by Zylka
      Wow. I've never before had an alcoholic drink that had me deep down wanting to grab for the next sip. Thing is this is pretty *tty stuff, as well (I imagine) - '99 Columbia Red.

Yes there have been countless wine threads.. but never enough! What are some of the wonderful lower/mid end selections for a starting wino? Are nationalities always relevant? Are you adept at describing your favourite's taste via pompous wine-ology? Who took my car keys that one time, when the guy who was saying all that stuff was nearby?
      Merlot is typically a heavier red. If you like that, then you'll probably enjoy Pinot Noir and Pinotage too. Despite what Boris may claim, Merlot's image is far from shabby as is generally considered a cut above Pinot Noir. Cabernet is usually considered to be the king. I'm a fan of all that stuff myself, though I also enkoy a lighter red (such as the magnificent Fleurie- king of the Beaujolais).

Columbian wine hasn't got a great reputation- certainly not as good as the US wines. Of the Latin American nations, Chile is a real star.

I don't drink white except for Gewurztraminer.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I used to dislike whites too, but then I had some really good New Zealand Riesling (not too sweet).
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Despite what Laz does claim, I never said merlots were shabby at all. I just tend to enjoy the other wines I mentioned more. This is generally because, from what I've experienced, you can find inexpensive, quality labels of those wines easier than of merlots. Overall, merlots tend to have less bang for the buck.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
            I think most people who make 'drunken' typos on this board are faking it....I've posted here p1ssed many times and the worst that happens to me is that I forget how to spell long words so I just use two or three small ones instead
            Actually, I spell better when I'm drunk, because I bother to check and try to look sober.

Grape variety is a personal thing. Whether Cabernet is regarded as better than Merlot is a matter of opinion, suffice to say the very best wines in the world (in terms of desirability and critical acclaim) will usually not declare, and will be a mixture of varieties. The New World vinyards seem to do this less, which is a shame, since blending can lead to a more balanced wine, and stick to mostly single varietal wines.

If you like Columbian Merlot, may I suggest some other South American fare: Chilean Merlot is a favourite of mine, and over here is about the best value wine possible (£3-5 will net a nice, drinkable and fun wine). Also Argentinian reds have been more available here, mostly Malbec, Shiraz and Cabernets, but a few Merlots. However my current favourite 'glugging' wine is a French Country Merlot called Les J'amelle (sp?).

I wouldn't really bother about years, or even if it's a vintage, for South American's, just something not too old, and not too young (ie. '95-'02). At a low price, it's trial and error which are good and which aren't, though supermarkets (over here at least) are pretty reliable and label pretty correctly.

All this reminds me I'm in dire need of a glass or two
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Martini Fondata a torino at present.
              I suppose a toast to starchild is in order.

Comment

Re: Holy moly what a Merlot!

Are nationalities always relevant?
                Yes. Even more so than the grape variety IMHO. Partly becuase different regions use different grapes, and partly because of the way it's made and the climate. For instance, Pinotage is only available in South Africa, which is a little Merlot like, but spicier.

Are you adept at describing your favourite's taste via pompous wine-ology?
                I can be Though usually I'd rather not. You can explain them in terms of fruits, nuttiness/grassiness (usually more for whites) spices and tannins (for reds), but there is debate about what each actually is, let alone how it relates to the wine. Merlot is a round, full but usually smooth, berry-like flavour. It's a medium tannic wine, so it's not too harsh and astringent like a Cabernet, and not as rustic as a Shiraz/Syrah. It's blended into many French wines, including Claret (St. Emilion and Pomerol side of the river mostly).

I could go a lot more pompous, and talk about how to visually imagine the wine, but it's all just how I think of it. I'm begining to prefer something I can happily glug to something that stimulates the palate in a pompous way I even have a couple of Clarets that you can sit and happily drink without having to think about them
                Smile

Comment

haha Jon... now I remember, I don't think I ever had you signed on but was using your account at one point. PM me your SN

As for this wine.. it's really quite disheartening to have the same effect upon return to light drinking through several month long absences. Always after two or three glasses of (drink x) - the warm "hey, wouldn't it be nice to ALWAYS be like this? Why don't I start drinking on a more consistent, functional basis???" mode of thought kicks in.

That's alcoholism teetering, I imagine. **** whatever, the taste of this variety is DELIGHTFUL

Comment

Can you give us details so I too may partake in the delightful flavour
                    Smile

Comment

Well, at smell it's slightly less acrid than the battery acid which shot out on to Grandpa's leg during the '94 in law fiasco at Victoria. Upon taste; a subtle rendering of the many isopropyl swabs applied to kneecaps during one's youth dances flirtatiously with a past wish that the Welches at Paul's house weren't sugar free (for his parents inane lack of parental skills). Then you get happy and sociable until this massive headache comes about but it goes away aa anad eventually ge tt t ing very sl eeeeeeepy..

Comment

I never get headaches

and don't usually get sleepy

if I drink too much the world get's spinning, I can't stand up, and I throw up (sometimes)

I have never blacked out

(yeah, you aren't on my buddy list, but did use my account )

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                        X