X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgetful Man Pays for Gasoline with Nephew

Forgetful Man Pays for Gasoline with Nephew
    2 hours, 35 minutes ago

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - A Cambodian who found he had forgotten his wallet after filling up his motorbike with petrol ended up paying for the three liters of petrol with his nephew.

The Kampuchea Thmey (New Cambodia) newspaper said Monday the nine-year-old, who it named as Dy, had been on a trip with his uncle in March 2002 to try and track down his father in a nearby province in the war-scarred southeast Asian nation.

However, their motorbike ran out of petrol before reaching their destination and, after filling up with three liters of gasoline from a roadside stall, the uncle realized he had no money.

Eventually he convinced the old lady selling petrol to take his nephew as a guarantee he would return with the cash -- about $1.5, the paper said.

Nearly two years later, she is still waiting -- but has opted to keep the youngster.

"I have decided to take care of him and raise him as my own grandson," she told the paper.

Despite a huge U.N.-backed reconstruction effort in the early 1990s, child rights remain a distant dream in Cambodia where society still bears the scars of decades of civil war, including the Khmer Rogue genocide of the 1970s.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Price of gas just keeps going up.

But its nice of this lady.

Comment

What a rip off ! You can get 30 litres of gas & have your windshield washer fluid topped off in exchange for a 9 year old here in Alberta.

What's the going exchange rate in your country ?
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Disgusting behavior on the part of the uncle, but I commend the lady.

Comment

Comment

What Verto said
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Damn...

After coming home to his nephews parents:
              "Where's our son"
              "Oh, I forgot to mention... I sold him for $1.5... here's your money"

This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

you would get more employing him as a chimney sweep
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

There was a fine reportage about Cambodia. Many parents asked the reporter to take their kids with him in Greece so they could have a better life because there is no life for them in Cambodia (they say). People are extremely poor and it's their "way" of ensuring a better future for their kids. I suspect this is what that was all about. Give the kid to someone with money to feed him. Which is a sad situation really.

Comment

Damn, Cambodia must be extremely bad if living in Greece is considered a better life for them. Most people who at least send their kids to a first-world country. Poor people.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

dammit drake, you stole my line
                      CSPA

Comment

well US is out of the question. If burgers won't kill you someone for your snickers will. Norway it's ok though if you can stand the cold.

Comment

someone for your snikcers will.

I've never heard of anyone getting killed in America for their candy bar.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm sure this has happened too. But I was talking about your athletic footwear.

Comment

You mean trainers?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X