Woman knocked unconcious by trampling shoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman knocked unconcious by trampling shoppers

ORANGE CITY, Florida (AP) -- A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, 'Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!"'

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."
    Only in America

Where else is a $29 dollar DVD player worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love Wal-Mart's reply too. They would really appreciate her money.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

There's not much Wal-Mart can do really. I mean, if they were being really generous they could pay her hospital bills and give her DVD player and a TV, etc., but a company cant say "We're sorry" which means someone like TEF is going to say "I love how WalMart passed itself off like a regular corporation."
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Think of all the money she could make if you hired the right lawyer.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I shop at Wal-Mart at least twice a month. Someone like TEF, actually, considering you don't know what TEF is like, will say "I'm glad they apologized." And they did...then they said we hope she comes back as a shopper...that just strikes me as slightly inhuman.

So please, don't tell me what someone like TEF is like, cause you really don't know.
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I hate crowded shopping areas, especially with the complete lack of manners people have who just cut in front of you and out of doorways, and show absolutely no respect. After half an hour or so I just feel like letting loose all around me with fists should 'F**K OFF OUT OF MY WAY!'. I really hate it. That is why I try and go shopping on a really boring weekday evening (Tuesday or something at 5, long enough to get what I need, but too late for anyone without a particular purpose to go out). I can go straight in, purchase what I want, and go out. It's bliss...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yep. Reasonably foreseeable circumstances, and if WalMart didn't have enough employees around to reasonably assure the safety of guests on it's premises, then
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I've been thinking all day
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                I hate crowded shopping areas, especially with the complete lack of manners people have who just cut in front of you and out of doorways, and show absolutely no respect.
                I usually don't have that problem. People who try to cut in front of me often happen to collide with me, and due to the laws of physics, they come out a bit worse for it than I do.

And if someone (it's happened occasionally) actually tries to push me to get in front of me, they take an impromptu flying lesson.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If you shop online then there are no crowds nor any lines.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Only in America

Where else is a $29 dollar DVD player worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love Wal-Mart's reply too. They would really appreciate her money

You are soooo right. Goddamned we're evil! EVIL I TELLS YA!!!

Why the next thing you'll know we'll have riots over soccer games! Then you can say

Only in America

Where else is the outcome of a mere game worth more than the safety and well-being of a person?

I love M-U's reply too. They would really appreciate it if they continue being fans.

Comment

Well shame on me, John T. Shame on me for pointing out that there's something wrong with people trampling a person with little regard for anyone but themselves.

I'm sooo sorry I bothered you.

Comment

That's what she gets for being a consumerist.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I hate WalMart and refuse to shop there.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.
                          Is this for real? On TOP of a DVD player. I'm trying to picture this scene...
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Wal-Mart rocks! I mean their response is PRICELESS. So they really hold one for her too? Oh, that's so kind of them That's like saying FU stop faking, you're not hurt! How about, since it was thanksgiving, christmas on it's way, they'd give her a day in Wal-Mart, and she could get anything she wants to get. She came with a van? Too bad.

It's when these ladies gets wild.. when you get a discount of something.. they go all charging and beating each other. We should put oilmats all over the store, it would be a big naked oil wrestling match. You'd win something for free if you bring someone elses panties to the counter.

ANyway, I should go to next event like that, delibarelty be all the way back and when the doors open? CHAAAAAAAARGE!
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Never shop at Walmart. Never even been in one.

They probably should've given her the damn DVD. A lot better pr than "we'll hold one until she regains her ability to shop."
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X