HIV jumps in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    The most disturbing thing is that the huge increase is mostly due to a large jump in the Hispanic community, as well as a maintenance of the obscenely large percentage of infections in the black community. This is because the vast majority of education campaigns are geared towards suburban whites rather than urban minorities. Combine that with the machismo about homosexuality in such minority groups and it's a recipe for this kind of disaster.

What boggles my mind is people who seem to think that just because HIV is somewhat treatable, it's worth risking getting it just for slightly better sex. Stupid is as stupid does.
    how do you gear education towards minorities? They are humans after all. Do they not understand english? Actually some of the hispanics probably don't. Anti-Aids ads in spanish might help.

I don't understand why we have to "modify" everything to get the minorities to understand. I kind of want to say something here, but I won't. It will be deemed racist.

All I can say is the Anti-AIDS message is everywhere. It's just some people choose to ignore it.

Unless you are saying minorities don't pay attention to advertisements because there are white people on the billboards and not blacks and hispanics.

Comment

Are the French really so stupid that they aren't able to raise thier own kids without government advice on how to do it?
      wouldnt want their kids to turn out fat...

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        Unless you are saying minorities don't pay attention to advertisements because there are white people on the billboards and not blacks and hispanics.
        Just ask Ming. Advertising effectiveness is very buch based on how you present it to any particular market. Things that grab the attention of the suburban whites aren't necessarily going to do the same for urban minorities, especially for minorities that doubly feel on the fringes of society.

HIV education programs involve more than just putting up billboards--it's about reaching out through community centers, schools, etc. These are institutions whose infrastructure is sorely lacking in poor urban communities. It's especially hard to reach urban minority gays, given the heightened social stigma for them. Just like their heterosexual counterparts, they also tend to be victims of their cultural idiosyncracies involving condom use.

It's a very complex issue that isn't so simple as just putting up a sign.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I'll take your word for it. Ming doesn't seem to be in this thread. I can't say for sure because all the advertisement is directed towards me by default .

Comment

Speaking of AIDS/gays, I saw "Philadelphia" for the first time last night on TV.

A very good movie.

Comment

I editted my stupid mistake out of my previous posts, BTW.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

That's such a wussy thing to do .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sorry I jumped on you about that, MrFun. (Ummm... let me rephrase.)

Sorry I was testy with you about that, MrFun. (hmmm... "testy"... no.)

Sorry I was short with y... NO.

Sorry about that, MrFun. "Cancer Development Center" just sounded like something some conspiracy nut would call the CDC, and it set my teeth on edge. I really just should have known better that you were just mistaken about what CDC stood for, instead of assuming that you somehow blamed the government for unleashing HIV... especially since that wouldn't have made the first bit of sense in the context of your posts.

Sorry again.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    That's such a wussy thing to do .
                    Do you take every opportunity to show off that tongue of yours?
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                      in the french mcdonald's they'll put a large sign that says: the ministry of health suggests: dont bring your kids here more than once a week... i assume they'll do that to all fastfood places
                      Do we? I should check next time I'm passing in front of a McDo.

But it is possible. Our public health authorities issue advice on pretty much everything regarding public health, and obesity is becoming a very worrisome phenomenon among children now.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                      X