Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIV jumps in the US

HIV rate jumps among US gays

There has been a big rise in the number of new HIV cases among gay men in the United States, a report says.

The latest report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed a 17% increase in new HIV cases among gay men between 1999 and 2002.

The figures cover 29 US states - not including New York, California and Washington DC.

"The fight is as urgent as it was 20 years ago," CDC director of HIV/Aids prevention Robert Janssen said.

'Treatable disease'

CDC officials say the report shows there is a need for new prevention strategies.

Earlier this year, the centre launched a campaign urging safe sex and discouraging needle-sharing, but Mr Janssen said that "prevention fatigue" had probably set in as many now regard HIV/AIDS as a "treatable disease".

The report, released ahead of World Aids Day on 1 December showed that overall, the number of men diagnosed with HIV between 1999 and 2002 had risen from 17,556 in 1999 to 18,843.

The Hispanic community showed the largest increase in HIV cases, at 26%, while HIV among whites increased by 8%.

The report showed there was no considerable increase in infection rates among African and Asian Americans, but black people account for 55% of all new HIV cases.

Mr Janssen noted that while HIV largely remains a black and Latino infection in the United States, the report indicates that lifestyle is more of an issue than ethnicity.

The report also found that although the number of Aids cases had been on the decline, between 1999-2002, the number of cases increased by 5.1%.

It is estimated that there are between 850,000 and 950,000 HIV-positive people in the United States.

PREVENTION FATIGUE?! This is only your ****ing life we are talking about here!!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I wonder how Bush will be blamed for this...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

obviously he's the one who's been spreading his filth around like that.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Bush administration has been putting up a lot of sex-related misinformation on the official government websites. Of course, that's unlikely to be related to this.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

obviously he's the one who's been spreading his filth around like that.

ewwww

Comment

I wonder how Bush will be blamed for this...

There has been a big rise in the number of new HIV cases among gay men in the United States, a report says.

In this instance **** is to blame.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Why would the gay community suddenly move away from safe practices?
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

AIDs drugs make the diesease a bit less life threatening so precautions seem to have slackened a bit....
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Very dumb indeed. The drugs may make it less life threatening, but it definetly isn't something you want to get.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I have to admit that there are a lot of "adults" who need to grow up out of their perpetual adolscence and realize that they are not immune to HIV/AIDS just because they do not want to get it.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It has jumped. But has it hopped? I ask you that.

Comment

AIDS is about as treatable a disease as an uncurable cancer. Sure you can stall the effects of the disease for some time. But it is difficult, time- and energy-consuming, and it generally makes life much less enjoyable.

It's still a wonder to me why people can still continue to get AIDS in a modern country, where everybody knows how to avoid it
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Simple.

It's been a generation since AIDS first emerged. A whole new generation of gays in late teen-years, who have the same delusions of invinsibility that all teenagers do.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

That's a good explanation Guynemer
                            But what about older Gays who more or less stop to prevent AIDS?
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

They have collectively turned into idiots? ... that's the only explination I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X