Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Just LOVE Thanksgiving in The U.S. of A. !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Thursday, Hueij. It is the last Thursday in November... at least in the US. In Canada, I believe it is early October.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So obviously the whole canard about he pilgrims was a way to seperate Thanksgiving from the Civil War and make it acceptable for Johnny Rebs everywhere to celebrate.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

wanna know what thanksgiving is for me??? tailgating in the parking lot of the cowboys game eating enough thanksgiving food that my mom made to satisfy a small army, and then watching the cowboys kick the crap out of whomever they happen to be playing. I haven't missed a thanksgiving day game since 88.
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Thanksgiving is a major holiday in the US, depends on the family but for some its bigger than Christmas. Its a holiday whose sole purpose is food and eating. An entire day for eating.

Of course its popular in America. They shut down the stores and governement so people can eat all day........

Comment

I don't think it was because of Johnny Reb. The rebs respected a day-long truce on the first Thanksgiving, IIRC.

But anyway, it's more of a thanks for plenty in spite of war holiday. Not really a "God is on our side in this war" holiday.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
              Ok then, I'll take Mr Fun's part. The whole story is fake, and does quite a handsome job for the most part of covering up the shameful treatment of the native Americans by early European settlers, and for that matter, their descendents.

I know that Independence Day is the one for blowing up the equivalent of the GDPs of small nations, but I'd be surprised if nobody hears fireworks on Thanksgiving too. Here in Yurp we blow them up on New Year's Eve for no good reason and so they have become synonymous with celebrations. People will have them at weddings, etc. Fireworks manufacturers also require a better revenue stream than just once or twice a year so they'll happily support hawking even more to celebrate the most minor things.
              I have never heard a firework.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                Does anyone reckon that the native Americans celebrated their national freedom and their abundance of resources before they were so rudely interrupted?

It's not just the fact that many natives died - look back at the purchase of Manhattan and tell me that the natives got a fair deal.
                It's their fault for not knowing the value of land

Comment

I like Christmas just a little bit more than thanksgiving. But not nearly as much as I did when I was a kid.

I don't really care for presents myself. I could easily by the same items myself. But it is nice to see family exchanging gifts.

Comment

Working...
                  X