Horsie Go America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horsie Go America

I'll be in Washington from 29 November till 7 December for talks with the USG, or Great Satan. We're called the GOA by the Yanks, or little southern satan, take your pick.

I'm going to flat out like a lizard drinking, i.e. very busy, while I'm there but it might be possible to meet a couple of Washington based Apolytoners for a drink or a cup of coffee in the margins of my various nefarious official activities.

I'd like some advice on a couple of things: good bars to go and have a quiet drink and civil war battlefields close to Washington. I'd like to go and see one if I can - good excuse for an outing to see a bit of the countryside.

I'll be staying in a hotel near the Australian embassy, which is very close to White House.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Re: Horsie Go America

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    I'll be in Washington from 29 November till 7 December for talks with the USG, or Great Satan. We're called the GOA by the Yanks, or little southern satan, take your pick.

I'm going to flat out like a lizard drinking, i.e. very busy, while I'm there but it might be possible to meet a couple of Washington based Apolytoners for a drink or a cup of coffee in the margins of my various nefarious official activities.

I'd like some advice on a couple of things: good bars to go and have a quiet drink and civil war battlefields close to Washington. I'd like to go and see one if I can - good excuse for an outing to see a bit of the countryside.

I'll be staying in a hotel near the Australian embassy, which is very close to White House.
    closest major battlefield is Manassas/Bull Run site of both 1st and 2nd battles of Manasses. About 40 minutes away, non-rush hour. Fredericksburg is about 1 hour away (and the town has a few nice restaurants, shops, etc.) If you have more time, Antietam or Gettysburg.

Bars im not that well informed on
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Blah, blah...

Cordially Invites Alexander's Horse

to a Luncheon

The Ronald Reagan International Trade Building
      14th and Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
      Washington, D.C.

“Friends When it Counts”

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

The Ronald Reagan International Trade Building? Is it called that because everyone forgets where it is?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I know, it will be so weird to go somewhere named after him

It's probably Jelly bean shaped with woolly carpet.

Comment

Our country is fvcked up as it is -- we don't need evil, conspiring Aussies to make it even worse.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

enjoy your trip
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Re: Horsie Go America

Thats weird, finally I "almost" have something in common, because in mid 1980's I handled the dirt work at the Australian Embassy, well, finding a home for the dirt, I was in charge of about 400 Independant hired truckers for the District of Columbia and State of Maryland with A.G.Van Metre Trucking Company.

We were working with Harland Shoemaker & Sons when they helped redo the Embassy.

Thats my "Roots" ..well..addition to us both being "TROLLS! I guess thats what we have in common!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I know, it will be so weird to go somewhere named after [Ronald Reagan]
                  In Los Angeles, the California Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal and the Attorney General's Office are all located in the Ronald Reagan State Building. Its name used to be the Ronald Reagan State Office Building. Then it was discovered that we liberals were having waaaaaay to much fun referring to it as the Ronald Reagan S.O.B.

Comment

blah ronny

Comment

DIRECTIONS TO THE INTERNATIONAL TRADE CENTER
                      (DRIVING)

FROM POINTS SOUTH: Take I-95 to 395. Follow 395 (approximately 8 miles) until you cross the 14th Street Bridge. Stay on the left across the 14th Street Bridge and follow 14th Street into town. Cross over Constitution Avenue and the Ronald Reagan Building will be one block ahead on your right.

FROM POINTS WEST: Take I-66 across the Roosevelt Bridge. Once across, follow signs for Constitution Avenue. Stay on and follow Constitution Ave for approximately 9 blocks. Turn left on 15th Street and right on Pennsylvania Avenue. Follow Pennsylvania Ave. to 13 ½ Street into our garage.

FROM POINTS NORTH: Take 270 East to the Beltway 495. Take 495 South. The sign will say 495 South/Richmond. Stay on 495 for approximately 3-5 miles. Take the George Washington Parkway (only goes one way). Follow the Parkway for approximately 12 miles and take the exit marked Roosevelt Bridge. This road turns into Constitution Avenue. Turn left on 15th Street and right on Pennsylvania Avenue. Follow Pennsylvania Ave to 13 ½ Street into our garage.

FROM POINTS EAST: Follow 50 West to New York Avenue. Continue on NY Avenue until you come to 9th Street. Make a left on 9th Street and continue to Constitution Avenue. Make a right on Constitution and stay in the right lane. Continue two blocks and make a right on 14th Street. The building and main entrance are immediately on your right.

DIRECTIONS TO THE INTERNATIONAL TRADE CENTER
                      FROM MAJOR AREA AIRPORTS

Ronald Reagan National Airport
                      (Total Distance: 4 miles)
                      1. Follow signs to Airport Exit, taking the exit toward George Washington Parkway North
                      2. Merge onto GW Parkway
                      3. Take the I-395N exit towards Washington, D.C.
                      4. Merge to left lane and follow signs to US-1 North. (14th Street, NW)
                      5. Follow 14th Street over Constitution Avenue, NW
                      6. International Trade Center is on the right. There are two entrances to the parking garage on 14th Street.

Dulles International Airport
                      (Total Distance: 27 miles)
                      1. Leave Dulles Airport via Dulles Access Road.
                      2. Dulles access road becomes I-66 East.
                      3. Follow I-66 East.
                      4. Take I-66 to E Street exit.
                      5. E Street becomes Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
                      6. Turn left onto 15th Street, NW.
                      7. Turn left onto Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
                      8. Turn right onto 14th Street, NW.
                      9. International Trade Center is on the left. There are two entrances to the parking garage on 14th Street.

Baltimore–Washington International (BWI) Airport
                      (Total Distance: 32 miles)
                      1. Leave BWI via I-195 West
                      2. Take MD-295 South (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) exit.
                      3. Follow MD-295 South.
                      4. Take the exit towards Washington
                      5. Merge on US-50 West (New York Avenue)
                      6. Turn slight right onto L Street, NW
                      7. Turn left onto 7th Street, NW
                      8. Turn right onto K Street, NW
                      9. K Street, NW becomes New York Avenue, NW
                      10. Turn left onto H Street, NW
                      11. Turn right onto 14th Street, NW
                      12. Follow 14th Street past Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

International Trade Center is on the left. There are two entrances to the parking garage on 14th Street

Directions to Ronald Reagan Building/International Trade Center Conference Center
                      1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20004 202/312-1300

FROM PARKING GARAGE:
                      To Atrium/Atrium Ballroom/Atrium Hall:
                      Enter parking garage from any of the three entrances. Follow posted GREEN signs for Atrium elevator banks. From Atrium elevator tower, go to level C (concourse). If you are in Atrium North elevator, exit to your left and walk to Atrium. If you are in Atrium South Elevator exit to your right and walk to Atrium.

To Conference Center (Hemisphere/Continental/Oceanic/Meridian/Polaris/Amphitheater, and Rotunda) :
                      Enter parking garage from any of the three entrances, go to the B2 level of the garage and park. Follow posted BLUE signs for the Pennsylvania Avenue elevator banks. From Pennsylvania Avenue elevator tower, go to level C (concourse for all rooms except for the Rotunda).
                      • Polaris: Exit elevator and go to your immediate right
                      • Meridian: Exit elevator, walk forward, bear to your left
                      • Amphitheater: Exit elevator, walk forward, bear to your right
                      • Oceanic: Exit elevator, walk forward, past Meridian, Oceanic on your left
                      • Continental: Exit elevator, walk forward, bear right, past Oceanic, Continental on your left
                      • Hemisphere: Exit elevator, walk forward, bear right, past Continental, make right at first corridor
                      • Rotunda: GO TO LEVEL G (ground floor) exit straight out of the elevator (pass a concierge desk on your right) and go straight to the next set of elevator banks to the North Tower. Take this elevator to the 8th floor. Make a left and go directly into the Rotunda glass doors. Up the stairs from the reception area is the Rotunda

To Horizon:
                      Enter parking garage from any of the three entrances. Follow posted GREEN signs for Atrium elevator banks. From Atrium elevator tower, go to level G (ground level). Exit elevator and go to your right. Follow corridor and enter through double doors. Horizon Ballroom is approximately halfway down hallway on your right.

BY WAY OF CAB /FOOT OR METRO CENTER: (at corner of 13 & Penn.)
                      To Conference Center:
                      Enter 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue. Take Stairs down one level to Conference Center. At bottom of stairs:

• Polaris: Turn right and follow signs to Polaris Suite
                      • Meridian: Turn left, suite just in front of you
                      • Amphitheater: Go straight, Amphitheater entrance on your right
                      • Oceanic & Continental: Go straight, suites are on your left
                      • Hemisphere: Go straight, pass Amphitheater and suites, just after staircase, turn right

To Horizon Ballroom:
                      • Horizon Ballroom: Enter building on Penn. Ave. side, turn right, go as far as you can, turn left. Horizon is
                      just down the hall on your left.
                      BY WAY OF METRO:
                      Utilize Federal Triangle stop. Follow signs to Ronald Reagan Building. Once inside building walk straight down corridor, turn right (see signs towards Conference Center)

• Hemisphere: First suite on left. See signs overhead.
                      • Continental, Oceanic,
                      & Meridian: Straight ahead, all three suites will be on your right.
                      • Amphitheater: Straight ahead, on left.
                      • Polaris: Straight ahead, pass Amphitheater. Bear to your left and follow signs.

To Horizon Ballroom:

Once inside building, continue straight down corridor, pass concierge desk, and immediately turn right, following signs towards Horizon Ballroom. You will take escalator to the next level up. Go straight, Horizon on your right.

Comment

It will be good to have you. Where are you staying? (General cross-streets is fine, since I know the area.) Are you looking for restaurants or just bars in which to run up your expense account?

The trade center's claim to fame is that it cost about $1.2 billion to build.

I live close to the Aussie embassy and walk by it most days.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As for battlefields, Antietam is pretty close, although you need a car to get there. That seems like a good bet, since there is a Sid Meiers computer game about it and everything.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bull Run would probably be my best bet. Unless it's been built out?

Comment

Shoot, I don't know. There's a battlefield park of some 5,000 acres...

But the area has been built up a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X