Is it inevitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it inevitable?

Is war between China and Taiwan inevitable?

China growling over Taiwan stance

Threatens use of force over island’s independence aims

ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEIJING, Nov. 19 — Raising the stakes in an already tense situation, China threatened in remarks published Wednesday that “the use of force may become unavoidable” if the island pursues independence — the mainland’s strongest statement in years against its archrival.
    BUT WANG ZAIXI, a top mainland official who deals with the Taiwan issue, also said China felt close to the Taiwanese people and was “not willing to meet at the battleground.”
    Wang, vice-minister of the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council, said curbing Taiwan’s efforts toward independence is the main goal of the mainland, which will go to war if necessary.
    “If the Taiwan authorities collude with all ... forces to openly engage in pro-independence activities and challenge the mainland and the one-China principle, the use of force may become unavoidable,” Wang was quoted as saying in the China Daily.
    Separatists were “set to pay a high cost if they think we will not use force,” Wang said. “Taiwan independence means war.”
    The Chinese Cabinet’s Taiwan Affairs Office in Beijing had no immediate comment on Wednesday.
    Beijing has long threatened the use of force against Taiwan if it formally declares independence, but rarely so dramatically. The two sides split amid civil war in 1949, and Beijing insists that Taiwan belongs to China and must accept eventual unification.
    The article in China Daily, a state-controlled, English-language newspaper with a wide foreign audience, ran under a bold headline: “Independence stance may trigger war.”

TAIWAN ELECTIONS PENDING
    ‘That Chen is using ... presidential running tools to get himself re-elected and to push our Taiwanese compatriots to the brink of conflict with the motherland is immoral ... ’
    — WANG ZAIXI
    vice-minister, Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council Wang’s remarks came as Taiwan prepares to elect a new leader next March. Recent public polls show that President Chen Shui-bian has gained popularity with voters since he came up with plans for a new constitution last month. He has also introduced a law referendums that could lead to citizens voting on Taiwan’s independence.
    The introduction of a new constitution and referendums are “extremely dangerous behaviors,” Wang was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency. He was speaking at a seminar on cross-straits relations.
    “That Chen is using ... presidential running tools to get himself re-elected and to push our Taiwanese compatriots to the brink of conflict with the motherland is immoral and is behavior that will destroy peace in the Straits of Taiwan,” Wang said.
    “The people of Taiwan are our brothers and sisters,” he said. “We are not willing to meet at the battleground.”
    On Tuesday, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said the Bush administration would deploy sufficient force in the Asia-Pacific area to lower tensions between China and Taiwan.
    “We have good competent forces there,” Armitage said as he also offered assurances that the Bush administration would provide Taiwan with “sufficient defense articles for her self-defense.”
    Armitage told reporters that “we have full faith that the question of Taiwan will be resolved peacefully.”

‘CRITICAL HISTORICAL JUNCTURE’
    When Chen ran for president in Taiwan in 2000, he was the candidate Beijing disliked most because his opposition party had called for independence for Taiwan. Then-Premier Zhu Rongji and state-run media warned Taiwan voters that a Chen victory could lead to war.
    “The people of Taiwan are standing at a very critical historical juncture, so let me give advice to all the people of Taiwan: Do not act just on impulse,” Zhu said during a news conference. “Otherwise you will regret it very much and it will be too late to repent.”
    Last month, Beijing condemned Taiwan’s leaders for their push for independence but stopped short of threatening war.
    “The separatist activities by Taiwan independence elements directly endangers the basic interests of Taiwan compatriots, and it is a disaster for Taiwan,” an unidentified spokesman from the Taiwan Affairs office was quoted as saying by Xinhua. “Activities like this cannot be tolerated by the sons and daughters of the Chinese nation.”
    No, A peaceful solution will be found
    36.11%
    Yes, China and taiwan will fight it out
    11.11%
    Yes, China Vs. Taiwan and USA
    25.00%
    BANANA WAR!!
    27.78%
    Last edited by PLATO; November 19, 2003, 00:56.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

maybe ww3 will happen after all

Comment

I doubt it. The 'growling' is just part of the policy for China. They want Taiwan and the world to know that they believe that Taiwan is 'an inseparable part of China.' I seriously doubt it will come to blows though.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

China is saying that simply that for consumption on the home front.

They know that the US will defend Taiwan, or will at least try, unless China is democratic.
        Vote Democrat
        Support Democracy

Comment

No
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by POTUS
            China is saying that simply that for consumption on the home front.

They know that the US will defend Taiwan, or will at least try, unless China is democratic.
            The US has it's collective corporate noses so far up cheap-labor-and-no-real-regulations China's ass that there is no way in hell the US will go to war against China over Taiwan. At most, you'd see some proforma yowling and a teensy bit of saber rattling, without any real meaningfull interruption of business. They played chicken with an Elint plane of ours, forced it down, detained the crew and took the plane apart, harvesting all sorts of nice classified stuff, and we didn't ultimately do squat about that.

Ultimately, the US would find a way to rationalize how it was the Taiwanese' own fault for getting uppity and aggravating China too much, so we're not obligated to do more than express our "grave concerns" and let Taiwan swing in the breeze.

It's more of the same reason we don't have the balls to deal with Saudi Arabia in any serious fashion, and we never will, unless a future Saudi government proves too inconvenient.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Hmm ... so, MtG, what do you think? Would China ever really go after Taiwan militarily? I seem to recall that, in previous threads, it was thought that China wouldn't really be able to do anything offensively for another decade or so. Does that still hold water?

Gatekeeper
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The problem Taiwan has is that it does not have a defensive alliance with the US as an independent nation. I don't think we have any obligation to Taiwan if they declare independence.

Our policy is that Taiwan and China must peacefully settle their disputes and that there is only one China. If Taiwan goes a different direction, they go alone. And if they go alone, certainly China will attack. This is almost like the South rebelling against the United States in 1861. Lincoln did not let them go.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

What Michael said.
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Nah, Taiwanese businessmen have invested too many billions in the mainland for them not to toe the line if the PRC really starts cracking the whip.
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Things will continue the way they are.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

china's army could do it, if it got to the island. the problem is getting there, and china doesn't have enough amphibious forces.
                        B♭3

Comment

It's inevitable. Every country seems to go to war with it's neigbours at some point or another.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
                            B♭3

Comment

War is never inevitable.
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Working...
                              X