No announcement yet.

What was the first online game ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with UR that MUD's we're probably the first real-time online game.

I was probably the only guy in my dorm wing who didn't flunk out of school that year from playing NannyMud. But close. Real close.
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

MUD's were cool. Still are. When you become a wizard you can start constructing your section of the world.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I played real time MP games on the Worldwide PLATO network back in the mid 70's. Air Fight (jet fighter combat) and Moon Wars were two popular games. PLATO was based at the University of Illinois and was accessable from most countries around the globe. I would be in games with guys playing from Russia, Japan, the UK... it was great.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's neat. Did they just connect by Internet?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It was a dedicated netork. I also took a lot of classes on it. And whenever I would get bored, I would switch log ons and just play games.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The first online games were BBS's.... I dont know what was the first.

Comment

thanks these infos are great for my project. ill google things you guys mentioned for more info.
                :-p

Comment

tic tac toe

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                    I'm too lazy to sift through this, but since I wasn't too lazy to go find it for you, you can do the rest:

http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming/mudtimeline.html
                    "In "Dogfight," two players tried to shoot down each other's "airplane" -- a tiny spot on the screen -- and avoid being shot down. You could control the position of your own airplane using the various keys on the keyboard. (This, of course, was ten years before joysticks and computer mice became common.) Unfortunately, the person with the fastest connection to the main computer in Illinois usually won that game." - Guy Consolmagno, SJ.

(emphasis added)

And nothing's changed since.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                    X